Muffler shell kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Muffler shell kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Hamilton on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:50 am:

I recently recieved a new 3-bolt SS muffler shell kit from Lang's to rebuid the muffler on my '14 touring car. The new outer shell diameter is 4 15/16" and does not fit over the end cap flange; the old shell measures 5 1/16 " and did fit fine. In explaining my problem to Lang's technical advisor, he seemed to fully understand my dilema and contacted his supplier. The response was that their shells were made correctly at 5" diameter and no one had ever complained about not fitting the end caps. Their implication was that the custormer (me) must be an idiot and was doing something wrong; no corrective action was offered. Since I had John McLaren look at the muffler and he couldn't put them together either, and I know he is not a Model T idiot, I am questioning the accuracy of this mystery supplier's shell kit. Am I truly the only one to have experienced this problem? Jack Hamilton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Cook on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:16 pm:

As odd as this may sound. The supplier is both correct and in error. Everyone complains and it will work! place the three rings in place and start to tighten the bolts. As the ends come together, line up the outer shell as evenly as possible on the casting. As you continue to tighten the bolts the shell will grow around the ends and seat quite nicely.

Been there - done that.

If you feel that you need to flare the ends of the tube, that may ease your tension a bit.

Tour America,
JC :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:17 pm:

You are not an idiot, John.
I had the same problem with a set of shells about five years ago on my '20 touring. The outer shell did not fit over the flange. Being in need of the muffler I cut little crimps and spread the shell over the ends and tack welded them in place.
They are still working.
HOWEVER, this should not be the case when hard earned money is traded for a supposed good product.
I had the same thing happen with the dryer vent hose. Bought a new one and a new outside vent. Turns out they are both four inch diameter and the hose would not fit on.
Took it back to the hardware store, ACE, and the kid told me they were both four inch and fine.
So I had him fit them together and finally he told me they wouldn't fit.
Really. Told him the hose should be slightly larger.
Well, so much for no child, teach to the test, left behind.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G.Goelz Knoxville,Tn on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:40 pm:

Joe,having sold the dryer vent and flexible hoses they are a one pint job and will fit together you just need to cuss at it take another drink pull and push the hose on.it will fit.Grins.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:44 pm:

If you take the shell and lay it on the edge of your work bench with about 1/4" hanging off the edge you can gently flare the ends using a rubber mallet. It doesn't take much to make this job a lot easier. Just a little bit is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Hamilton on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 04:58 pm:

Thanks for the tips from Jim and Royce. My new mounting bolt kit has been backordered for a month, so I can't try your squeeze technic yet, Jim. My original muffler only had one bolt left. Shortly after posting my question, I got a call from Don Lang personally. He explained the problem with variabilty during the lifespan of T production and how original suppiers changed and so did their products. I can accept that. He also said he would credit my account for the shell kit. This is good customer service in my book and my thread was not intended to spread any derogatory comments on Lang's service. Jack Hamilton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:39 pm:

Thanks, Rick.
That is exactly what I did. Took 20 minutes, but the dryer is venting outside.
Like my wife tells me to do.

Joe R.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration