Hotshot battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Hotshot battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:10 am:

I recently bought a hotshot battery from an individual. When received I noticed the diode is misssing. Can someone tell what type of diode is required? I am installing this in a 1916 touring. Where do most people install it?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:55 am:

Dena & Dennis, Since the battery is on a dedicated circuit to the coil box and I assume there is no generator or charging system on your car, a diode is not required. If you have a charging system, then the cutout, accessory diode or voltage regulator provides the back currrent protection.

By any chance is your hotshot battery a gel cell consisting of a rectangular black plastic affair with a slot for a fuse? Any chance of posting a photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:09 am:

If Dennis wants to charge the battery from the magneto, he is going to need a diode.

A 1N5403 or better will work great. It needs to be in series with the light bulb between the magpost and the battery positive terminal. The band on the diode (the cathode) will aim toward the battery and the lightbulb if you install the diode at the magpost end.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:10 am:

Is it like this? The green is an automotive fuse. I've also seen them with circuit breakers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 07:21 pm:

Here is a photo of my battery. I think I will be mounting it under the back seat, out of sight and out of the way. Thanks for everyone's help.Hotshot Battery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 09:11 am:

Dennis,

Did you find a 1N54.. diode? If not, I'd be more than happy to mail you a few.

Seth

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration