Cover car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Cover car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 05:09 pm:

Does anyone on here have any more photos or information about the car shown on the cover July/August 2004?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:01 pm:

The magazine says that car is now (in 2004) owned by Snyder's. They should be able to help you out with more info. It certainly is a nifty car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:04 pm:

Thanks, I don't have that issue. I saw it in the 2005 book. I would really like to have one of those! Was there an article to go with it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:30 pm:

Tim,

There is a good chance others may have information, but like me they may not know where in the stack the Jul/Aug 2004 issue is located. If you share what type of car you may be able to gain additional leads.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

Tim, Is this what you desire?

COVER PICTURE
This unique and very luxurious 1911 limousine was on the cover of our May-June 1977 issue and shown in our last issue in the Back Issue Review. The body was made by the Storm Buggy Company in Fostoria, Ohio. The photo was taken on the Millenium Madness national tour in Olympia, Washington. The car was owned by Kirk Wright of Scottsdale, Arizona, but is now part of Snyder's Antique Auto Parts' automobile collection. The photo was taken by Frank Hoiles, Tucson, Arizona.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

That's the one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:13 pm:

I guess I really do have expensive taste:

http://www.scripophily.net/storbugcom.html

http://my.net-link.net/~dcline/limocls2.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

For Dave,

Thanks for posting the picture. Do you remember if the article said there was another one? I remember reading a posting about it – but I can’t locate it at the momement.

For Tim,

That car or a twin is shown in the Nov – Dec 1968 Vintage Ford,
Page 49

With the note:
Dear Mr. McCalley:
I thought you would be interested in an unusual
1911 Ford Sedan that I have, that the wife and I
call “Jezebel”. The body is a contemporary
accessory built before Henry Ford built sedans.
It was built and sold by the Storm Buggy Co.,
Fostoria, Ohio. I do not know the selling price of
the body but it is quite elaborate, with broadcloth
upholstery, nickel trim and a very unusual sunburst
pleated headliner. The serial number is
Harry S. Johnson
Reno, Nevada
Note the unusual electric horn on the running board.
Respectfully submitted,

Peter Kable in Australia had a 1911 runabout, but his family started to grow. He built the 1911 Town Car body pictured on page 26 Vintage Ford, May – Jun 1979 and shown below to replace the roadster body.

So if you really want a Storm Buggy Co type body, – a replica body could be produced. Early Center door latches would probably work great. But on the wood worker scale of projects – it would NOT be listed as “easy – beginner – one week end” I’m sure Don Snyder would allow you to take photos and measurements. And in 1911 – produced by a buggy company – it probably was an all wood body.

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

Hap,
I don't know anything else about the car. The words above the picture on my post were copied from the acknowledgement in the VF.
If someone can access the May-June 1977 issue (which is also on CD), there may be more info about it. Sorry.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:50 pm:

The car that Dave pictures has E&J lamps. The car pictured by Hap from the earlier MTFCA magazine has Brown lamps. If they are the same car someone has changed a lot of the details.

The car from Dave has 30X 3 1/2 wheels all around.

The car from Hap has more typical 30X 3 front and 30 X 3 1/2 rear.

Something does not jive. I am betting that they are two seperate but similar cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

I believe I remember there being two cars; maybe even an article or letter to the editor comparing the two. There is/was one in New England 15-20 years ago. I will look through my Brass and Gas Tour photos; I know I saw it on at least one.
I hope I didn't dream all this...
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:45 pm:

The "one of a kind" car I asked about had a hanging chandelier according to the web article. The second "one of a kind" car had a pleated headliner. Maybe there are a few more out there? If it's in new england, let me know and I'll go take photos of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:53 am:

For Dave,

Thanks for “repointing” me to the May-June 1977. I missed that a Strong Buggy Limo bodied car was the “Cover Car” for that issue as well as the “Cover Car” for the Jul-Aug 2004 issue. I think there is an article in the Jul-Aug 2004 issue, if someone has that one handy – please take a look and see if it adds something helpful.

The May-Jun 1977 issue had this car on the cover:

In the May-Jun 1977 issue, they only had a short comment on page 3 about the cover picture which shared:

THE COVER PICTURE
We were pleased to receive this photo from member
Harry B. Johnson, of Reno, Nevada.
In the letter which accompanied the photo, Harry
said: “Enclosed is a transparency of my 1911 Ford
sedan and a copy of a contemporary news item about
the unusual body built for Fords before Henry built his
two door sedan in late 1914. This body has three doors.
It is a very well constructed body with plush broadcloth
upholstery, an elaborate sunburst headliner, window
shades everywhere except the windshield, and lots of
nickel plate. Even the buttons for the diamond tuft
upholstery are plated.
“The scene depicts a common roadside scene in the
early days of motoring, when you didn’t change a tire,
you repaired it. Notice the early Ford jack with block
letters instead of script.”
We hope to do a feature on this unusual car in a
future issue.

Note, with the exception of the middle initial (“S” in the 1968 issue and “B” in the 1977 issue) the owner for the car with the “Brown” manufactured lamps remained the same – Mr Harry Johnson of Reno, NV.

I believe Royce is correct that there are two different cars being pictured but both with the same style body. I’m sure I read an article or posting about them -- but I cannot locate it at the moment. A while back a couple of folks had visited Snyder’s show room and shared some pictures – I think that car was also shown there.

Respectfully Submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:12 am:

Hap -- The Jul-Aug '04 magazine has no article on the limo, just the Cover Picture info posted above by Dave D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:13 am:

I remember reading that article years ago and thinking about that jack referred to in the descriprion. Can anyone shed some light on the jack for 1911, or what the jack with the block letters was for?
Thanks
Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:27 am:

H.I. jacking my thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

All fabulous and unique bodies, truely gorgeous by any standard. But hold on 1910 fans out there...another blockbuster barn find has just rocked the bidding on Ebay!!! Here's that golden opportunity that you only hear about once in a lifetime. Imagine being the envy of friends,club members,and rivals, when you cruise-up in this priceless museum piece(Ebay Item#200198830899). Note the transitional buggy seats, futuristic radial fenders, and tastefully appointed solder accents gracing the obviouisly early prototype radiator housing. The current $8600.00 bid is nothing more than a cruel tease to prospective investors breathlessly waiting to pounce on this priceless gem...just wait til the "real" bidding starts. Gotta wonder what the reserve is, and who this mysterious seller might be? I don't think I'll be able to rest until I see this historic event reach it's dramatic climax...Wew,think I need a cigarette! Gonna run to the john real quick, then gonna get right back and watch.
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:34 am:

Wow....Now, I can sure add to this story! That car is the VERY FIRST model T I looked at to buy. It was advertised on Craigs List. I went to see it, and took tons of pics of it, then contacted a couple of people in the local club.
(That was even before I joined the club)

I got the whole TRUE story of the car. It, at one time belonged to a member of the local club. He was very elderly when he purchased it for around 5 grand. It ended up going with him to Florida where he and his wife used, and enjoyed it around a senior complex.

When the gentleman passed away, it was brought back here to Ohio....Massillon to be exact. The family seemed to have split most of the estate, and this was for sale to settle the rest of it. The asking price in Craig's List at the time was $4900.00. The son that was selling it owns a boat shop. That is where it was displayed when I looked at it.

The frame and running gear looked to be correct. The fenders and were about '24s I guessed. The engine has a 1926 serial number. The seats as Scott said were buggy seats. The windshield looked correct. The Radiator was "who knows what"? The floor was just a plywood platform.

He does have a 1910 title for it with the 1926 engine serial number on it...(figure that one out.)

Apparently the value of this type of vehicle has doubled since October 2007!

I will include some of the pics I took the day I looked at it.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:41 am:

It looks like he has had the seats recovered and the top repaired and now on the car. Just thought I would add what I know.

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread again. lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:43 am:

Tim Jeandrevin:
Pardon my poking fun at this sale, for which IMHO $8600.00 is absolutely rediculous. Other than possibly the windshield and w/s support assembly, I see nothing of this body or chassis that could remotely be construde as 1910. Wheels, front and rear axles, steering column, coilbox, as well as numerous others are all clearly later components, or are not Ford OEM parts at all. Not a bad little gitney to putt around in, but absolutely no restoration potential here to speak of. Pursuant to the original thread...this is clearly not an original chassis that was altered at a coach shop back in the day, unlike the fabulous limo coach (or potentially coaches) featured.
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:13 pm:

Tim J -

Your statement "The frame and running gear looked to be correct." has me confused. Correct for what? The rear axle is 1919 - 25, front axle and related components 1919-25, engine 1919-25, hogshead 1919-25.......

I don't see evidence of any components of the running gear that could be remotely considered correct for 1910. This car looks to me like a collection of black era T parts (including the Western Auto replacement brass radiator) made into a fun buggy for a summer day.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:26 pm:

Scott.....Oh, I don't blame you for making fun of this sale! I thought at the time his $4900.00 asking price was a little high for a pile of parts a "Frankenstien" so to speak. I find it hard to beleave he has the bids he has, and I also think he is shooting him self in the foot with such a high reserve. He should have been ticked to death getting $5000.00 for it. The reserve will probably keep it from selling!

Royce....I didn't say that the way I meant it. what I meant was...the frame and running gear looked to be all of the same year. As apposed to the fenders, firewall, hood, headlights, and radiator which all seem to be a mix of everything in the bucket.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

He wants $10k for it. I made an offer but he was not interested. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:08 pm:

For a car being ridiculed, it seems to be doing pretty good on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-1910-FORD-MODEL-T-2-SEATER_W0QQitemZ 200198830899QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration