Trouble with brakes stopping going down hill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Trouble with brakes stopping going down hill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:12 pm:

I can't seem to get the brake setting correct to help me stop going doen hill even if its a small hill.

Thanks to my good friend Jack Pickett : ^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:53 pm:

John, that's a great picture!! I saw something very similar to that on The worlds worst drivers or some show like that. It was a video clip that showed this tiny little car pulling a trailer not much smaller than that airstream up a hill. the car was making all kinds of noise and smoking something fierce. It died part way up and the cars brakes wouldn't hold the car and trailer in place. The next shot in the video was the car and trailer rolling backwards down the hill, till the whole mess jack knifed and rolled over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:58 pm:

That picture reminds me of a trip in 1995 when I was driving up Independence pass in Colorado following a VW microbus full of German tourists. They were down to 1st gear for the last 30 miles and there was so much traffic I could not pass. Traffic backed up behind us for miles. There should be a restriction on low powered vehicles driven by idiots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

A restriction on high-powered vehicles driven by idiots would be good too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:47 am:

Maybe your mag isn't putting out enough for the electric brakes!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:30 am:

I love this picture. Jack Pickett owns this 15 touring. Just recently Jack, Joe Jeffries and myself reworked the drive train. I mostly watched. It was one of the best times for me in a while. I met two people that I am proud to call friends and we had a blast cussin, fussing and laughing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:17 am:

"There should be a restriction on low powered vehicles driven by idiots."

Careful Royce, it sounds like you're talking about us Model T folks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:58 am:

Mike,

I could have passed that microbus in one of my T's.

The problem here is one that most experienced T drivers know how to handle properly. If you are holding up modern traffic you should pull to the side and let them pass. If you do not let them pass the modern driver can get mad and take risks that can cause accidents.

You would think the same thing happens all the time in the Austrian Alps.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:44 am:

There's a law in Calif that if you have more than 5 cars trailing, you must pull over. The last time I saw a violation of that was a CRST big rig from Iowa going up the Ortega hwy, 74, from San Juan Capistrano to Lake Elsinore. He must have had 30 cars trailing. We got off before the summit, but I bet that driver soiled his pants when he saw the descent. It drops about 3,000 feet in just a few miles of narrow, twisty hiway.

I would have called the CHP and CRST and complained, but that was before celfones, and the next day it was not so pertinent.

CRST was an early adopter of long haul automation and position sensing. He may have been routed that way by dispatch.

We're at the dead end of a block long private street, and there is another street just beyond our block wall. Mapquest and others sometimes give directions to use our street to access the other streets beyond the wall, so I see lots of delivery and service vehicles barrel down our street, only to pull up short. Yesterday, I saw a van driver, with what appeared to be an electronic dispatch device in his hand, turn around in my driveway. He was so enslaved to the device, he retreated down the street, and then came back a second time!

rdr
rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:51 pm:

25 or 30 years ago I was in Glacier National Park in Montana, I was going west to east using the "Going to The Sun" shortcut to get to Calgary. There were signs out the gazoo telling people not to do it, but some fool in a Chrysler pulling a BIG Airstream tried it. He only got so far up, burned out everything on the car and the trailer. It blocked the road most of the day with no sign of a letup, so I backed down like most did and went around. Often wondered how they got it straightened out, there is no place to turn around on that road with a trailer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration