Dirt roads By Paul Harvy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Dirt roads By Paul Harvy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:41 pm:

http://famguardian.org:80/Subjects/FamilyIssues/Articles/DirtRoads/DirtRoads.htm
I like this link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Seen this a few times & I love it (Paul Harvey's gotta be what? 117 years old) I've read reports, mostly excerpts from travel diaries, of people who traveled across country in automobiles prior to the Lincoln Highway, that if you got on a dirt road you'd eventually end up next to the kitchen garden of a farmhouse. They'd give you a hot meal with pie & coffee & you'd give the family members a ride, this continued till you got to the Pueblo de Los Angeles (The real name of the place translates out as "The City of Our Lady, Queen of the Angels" too long for picture postcards & hasn't quite lived up to it's name)

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:54 am:

The full thing is El Pueblo de Nuestra Do˝a La Reina de Los Angeles de Porci˙ncula, and I remember when it still contained some dirt streets. Paul Harvey will be 90 on September 4. Older broadcasters still working in radio are Dan Schorr, 91, and George Putnam, 93. Some of them may have ridden on dirt roads in Model T's. (Obligatory Ford content.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 08:06 am:

Steve,

My Mother grew up on 77th near the corner of Broadway I've got some photos (one with Mom sitting on a Model T fender, gotta keep content) from the early 20's when both streets were unpaved. LA, being what it is, has no drainage, My mother said, when it rained you had to wade through a foot of water to catch the trolley,

I was baptized at "Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles" The oldest Catholic church in Southern Calif. (outside the Missions).

Coulda sworn George Putman had died.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

http://www.newsmax.com/putnam/bio/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration