Battery Box Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Battery Box Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:46 pm:

How was the battery box assembled into the battery bracket? I'm installing the repro battery box in an original battery bracket. It fits fine with the exception that it seems to sit too low in the bracket. The positive cable won't go through it's opening in the lid without severely rubbing on the bracket. Did the original box sit directly on the bottom brace of the battery bracket or was there something else there that raised everything up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:13 pm:

A short piece of 2x8 or 2x10 works well. Notch the ends so it can't fall out of carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

The modern batterys are lower than the original battery.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:35 am:

there again - a manufacturing mistake - The new repro box should be tall like the original and then allow for you to put the prop up piece of wood in the bottom of the box to raise the battery - which is shorter. Then its correct on the outside in appearance. Especially for the price of the new box. calling Dave Sosnoski - Hey Dave how bout adding a good correct box to the great line of parts you sell??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:22 am:

Unknown to many folks, 6 and 12 Volt car batteries come in a wide variety of sizes, so you don't have to settle on the battery size the Auto Supply places have stocking their shelves. You can actually get them to provide you with a sheet listing the dimensions of the various batteries and, using the correct stock number of the size you need, get them to order a battery to your precise specifications (length, width, height and negative terminal in the correct location). I was able to order a six volt battery from "Auto Zone" that exactly fit the metal battery box and lid for my 1926 coupe. I did, however, have to remove the pegs on each end holding the built-in plastic handle with a Dremel tool, but after that, I could not have asked for a better fit. Take care. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:33 am:

PS ...Without a spacer board in the bottom of the box... Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

I posted this set of pictures a while back of an original battery box and its dimensions. I haven't tried making one but it doesn't appear to involve a great deal of sheet metal work at least in making it with only three pieces required. Bob
battery box
battery box
battery box
battery box
battery box
battery box
battery box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:20 pm:

The full-height "correct" battery is available from Snyder's - for big bucks. Snyder's tells you that it will not fit in the reproduction boxes they sell.

The reproduction boxes are made for the shorter, Group 1 battery which is the six-volt replacement battery for the T's original.

The carriers are designed for the original tall battery - this is true at least of my carrier designed to be used without a box.

Two other 6 volts will fit in the carrier - the 17HF and the 19L. They were used in imports like the MGA and VW. The 17HF is taller than a Group 1 by 1/4" and may not fit in the reproduction battery box.

All 6 volt batteries have one post in one corner and the other in the diagonal corner because there are three cells. 8 volt and 12 volt batteries have posts on the same side of the battery since there are an even number of cells. Using the 8 volt, which is Group 1 sized, the positive post is in the correct place but the negative isn't so the Ford-style copper ground strap can't be used (as intended).

I used a 3/4" thick by 2 1/2" wide spacer underneath my battery, notched so it can't fall out. On the top of the battery I used 1/2" thick by 1/2" wide by about 3" long - to spread out the load from the metal clamps, so that I can get the battery tight without the metal clamps digging into the relatively weak polypropylene battery case.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

There is a sleeve that is inserted onto the battery cable where it enters the battery box. The size is 4 1/4" X 15/16" dia.
The original batteries had a handle on each side to support the cover or lid. I made two handles, and bolted them the the piece of wood I'm using on the bottom of the battery box. I'm using an Optima 6 volt battery, which fits perfectly in an original battery box crossways. It will NOT fit in a repro. I had to put the repro aside, and have a new one made at a local sheet metal shop. It cost less than the repro! Bob, if you ever locate the proper seam tool for those boxes, and decide to make some, put me on the list. I always like parts that are made correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

Larry, I have the tools just not the time to take on another project right now. Bob

battery boxbattery box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:46 am:

I finished assembling my battery box yesterday. The sheetmetal shop that made it for me couldn't duplicate the two corner joints that Ford made, but at least I can put an original wood Ford battery case in it. They made the bottom just like the one pictured in Bobs picture, and I cut the tabs. After assembly, it fit tightly. I plan to use a NOS top on it. I hope Bob can find the time to make some of these someday. I hope I can be on the list of people willing to buy one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration