Cylinder Head casting flaw

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Cylinder Head casting flaw
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve B. on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

I noticed after cleaning my cylinder head of carbon, that there appears to be a casting flaw in the middle of the head between #2 and #3.Other than that it is in very good condition.
This is a high head for a 1922 T.
I used a search and found that others have found this with some heads.
The head gasket seemed to have sealed it for many years.Does this mean that I should be looking for another head?
I don't want to take any chances.
Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve B. on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:47 pm:

I did some more detective work.
I found the following regarding cylinder head changes on the MTFCI site;

08/15/17 T-401-C Cyl Head Added 3/4" cored hole between chambers 2 & 3.
So does this mean that some heads with this hole are considered correct, and it is not a casting flaw?

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey D. Judson on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:04 am:

Good evening, Steve, without a picture I'm not sure just exactly what you're referring to... Many years ago, when I was working on the engine I got with my Great-grandparents '23 Touring, after having it boiled, I noticed a 'deformed' spot on the deck of the block, and a corresponding hole in the head and gasket. (This was in the back of the engine.) I decided that I would bore a small hole in the deck and help the cooling. I put the gasket over the block and used the bolts to center and hold the gasket and used a centering punch to locate where the hole should be with the hole in the gasket. When I hit the punch with a mallet, it didn't sound right, so I got a small drill bit and hand drill and ran the drill into where I thought there should be a small hole, and sure enough; there was already a hole there, it had calcified shut and just hadn't been boiled out. (This was my 1st Model T engine; I know such things now.)

Again, without pictures, I don't know what you're referring to, but is it possible that you're looking at a corroded or otherwise misshaped hole that has always been there?

...Just a thought...?

Happy motoring! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration