Additional Pictures of Coupelet Arrival

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Additional Pictures of Coupelet Arrival
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:19 am:

It was January 13th, about high noon when our 'new born' arrived home. Here are some additional pictures. The trunk is packed full of parts. At the warehouse in Anchorage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:21 am:

At the warehouse with my wife giving it an inspection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:25 am:

A great moment, after a long trip over land and sea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:26 am:

We have touchdown of home soil (or snow/ice to be more accurate)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:27 am:

It was good to be in the driver's seat!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:28 am:

Just rolled home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:30 am:

Catching the last rays of sunshine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:31 am:

Last picture before closing the doors and heading to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:54 am:

Looks like you've got a great project there!
(and plenty of winter time to work on it)
A "Coupelet"? I'm no Model T expert but aren't these things kind of rare?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon crane on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 08:08 am:

What is the "rest of the story". What sea did the T cross? Where was it manufactured? How did you find it? What are you going to do with it? Any unusual Couplet features?
On another note I like your T Garage/sheds. It looks like you have a separate shed for each car? Just about the right size. What plans did you use or is it something you designed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:02 am:

Hey, Barry -- Congratulations on getting her home. I noticed that the garage looks brand-new. Did you build it just for this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:18 am:

Very interesting car Barry! Congratulations, only a select few will ever own a brass T couplet. Hope to see you driving it on a tour one day soon.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:55 pm:

Is it a '15 or '16? I even saw a converted early '17 last year, that was made into a '15.
Too bad. An early '17 would be the most rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

Dennis: Yes, they are quite rare. In 1915, if I remember correctly, approximately 244,000 touring cars were built, 47,000 runabouts were made and just over 2,400 coupelets. In 1916 about 3,600 coupelets were made and in 1917 the style changed. The early 17s were convertable then fixed top after that.
Jon: From what I have been able to determine, the car was US built and originally purchased by the US Post Office. After that it obviously spent some time sitting outside somewhere then 40+or- years in side in Missouri. Then it moved to southern California about 5 years ago, which is where I found it. It was trucked on a flat bed tow-truck about 75 miles to a distribution center, then trucked inside a freight truck to the Seattle area, then shipped on the sea to Anchorage, trucked from the docks to the trucking warehouse, then back on a flatbed tow truck to my house up in the mountians outside of the big city. I will restore it to original condition, which will likely be a slow process. It appears that most, if not all, original coupelet parts are here. It is a 1915. The engine was cast on Jan. 29, 1915 and according to the engine number, it was assembled on Feb. 8, 1915. It has lettered pedals, engine hood without louvers, aluminum hogs head, proper head, standard cast iron pistons, conventional coach and tail lamps with brass trim, 1915 rear housing without the ribs, correct coil box and switch, electric horn, tapered springs, and speedometer. The turtle deck opens from the top. The owner from Calif. did a re-wood. It has the small 'portal' windows that you see on the 1916s. Since the first 1915s did not have the portal windows and the 1916s did, there has been a belief that all 1915s did not have them. However, in addition to this car, I have seen a picture from that time period of a coupelet with the portal window and brass trim on the lights and also a 1915 Ford advertising brochure showing the coupelet with the portal windows. Yes, each car, except two which are in our attached garage, have their own building. One is 12 x 20 the rest are 12x 16 which is the size of the garage that was common during the Model T era. I have seen literature from that time period with plans for 12 x 16 garages. Mine are basic 2x4 construction and very functional.
Mike: Yes, custom made just for her. In addition to the 12 x 20, I have four 12 x 16 buildings, all identical.
Royce: I think I would truly enjoy a tour, although they are a long way off. Prior to this fall, all of my T driving has been local, including ice cream runs in the summer time with my wife. This fall we (my wife and I) went on a tour in Denali Part (Mount McKinley) with the antique auto mushers club here in the Anchorage area. We drove our 1915 runabout. There was one other T, a 1915 touring. About 6 years ago my wife and I did drive a 29 A from Indiana to the west coast, but that is another story.
Larry: It is a 15. You are right, an early 17 would be rare. I have no idea how many were made, but from what I have read there were 3 different 17 styles with the mid style being very rare. There is a write up on one of this style in Bruce's book.
Thanks to all for your comments. My excitement for this car just keeps growing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:46 pm:

There is one after market item on the car that I didn't mention earlier. The windshield wiper on the car has a wiper blade on both the inside and outside. I had never seen or read about one like that before, a defroster and wiper in one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:14 am:

Isn't Rance Pederson up your way Barry? Haven't seen him posting here for a long time now. I enjoyed seeing photos of him and his old pickup tooling around.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:44 am:

Years ago I saw a story in one of the T magazines about the owner of a 1915 touring who drove his car from the lower 48 to Point Barrow. Have you had any of your Fords to the Arctic shore? I imagine that would be an interesting tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

Garnet: Yes, Rance lives in Soldotna, about 150 road miles from here. We have talked on the phone and via e-mail, but have not met in person yet.
Steve: Not yet, but I have given serious thought about driving up the haul road which goes to Prudoe Bay. It is a long stretch through wild country and used primarily by truckers hauling material to the oil fields. I am curious how someone drove to Barrow, however. There are no roads to there and it is about 300 miles west of Prudoe Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

It's been so long since I saw the story that I may have the location wrong. I remember the Arctic shore, but I couldn't swear to the Barrow part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:47 pm:

It had to have been the haul road to Prudoe Bay, which is on the Arctic shore. That would be a beautiful trip. You would need a good supply of spare parts and extra fuel, long stretches of wilderness. The road is gravel, so caution would be the word of the day. The large trucks can really through gravel as they go by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Keller on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:32 am:

Hi Barry
Really glad to here you finally got your new born Coupelet. I can't hardly wait to see it and the rest of your collection.
I'll have my 16 Touring finished in couple of months and we'll have to go out for some ice cream.

Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:50 am:

That is good to hear, Fred. Sounds like you timed it just about right. It should be up and running as the snow begins to disappear. I am eager to hear how your engine work went. The coupelet engine is in need of a rebuild. Ice cream runs are always good. Can't wait.

Barry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration