Pick up bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Pick up bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Rees on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:25 pm:

I would like to buy a pick up bed for my roadster, Langs sells a kit, is it easy to assemble. any suggestions.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

Jack,

For a wood working project on a T it is one of the easiest ones. You don’t need to measure and cut the wood – it is already the correct size. Recommend you call Lang’s and confirm that the holes are already marked and/or drilled (I would guess they are -- but I don’t know if they are or are not already drilled and I know Lang's will know). Even if they are not predrilled – it would still be easy to lay out the wood pieces and drill the holes based on where the brackets line up. Basically follow the instructions, varnish or paint the wood, and install on your roadster. The Mar-Apr 1979 Vintage Ford page 33 article describing building the pickup bed from scratch shared:

Construction is relatively easy and should present no problem and should be an easy matter for the average hobbyist. The great advantage of this body is that it can replace the usual turtle deck in just a few moments, and the
turtle can later be replaced if desired.

The original plans were published in “The Ford Owner” in 1927. It is designed for the 1925 and earlier cars (Lang’s says 1913-25).

Below are the instructions from 1927. The brackets were cast back then. Looking at the picture in Lang’s they use more flat stock to make the brackets. Either would make a safe sturdy truck. I didn’t include the part about cutting the boards and what length etc as the kit already has that done. The MTFCA has given us permission to share articles etc. to help promote our club and our hobby. If you or anyone else would like a copy – click on my name and I will send a copy to you. Remember it is the 1927 article so any prices or comments about the forged brackets being available as a kit – is talking about in 1927. Lang’s and possibly other sell the brackets separately for anyone who would like to cut the wood etc. themselves.

And remember to store your turtle deck where it won’t get damaged. It is small enough that the attic could work.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad's_T on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:14 pm:

Hap as always, thanks for the pics, if you remember i started one about 2 years ago and havent finised it yet. Hopefully this is the year.

--chad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Chad,

Good to hear from you. I recently shared a couple of pictures from your Canadian 21 inch split rims and it helped someone else out. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Life can sometimes just get really busy! That’s ok – that’s why most of us have another car for the “to from work” and the T is for fun. I can remember my Dad telling me about tearing the engine down to adjust the rods, install new rings, scrape the carbon off, lap the valves, etc. starting late Friday night with all the parts already purchased and having to have it finished in time to go to work Monday morning. The weather had to be nice also as there wasn’t a garage at that time. That changes it from “fun” to “stress” if anything goes wrong.

If you are having trouble getting started (I am) you might try what we are going to try here. Our local club is planning to have some work days when a few of us who have been putting things off plan to get together and “get ‘er done.” Remember the finish doesn’t have to be perfect – and for that matter for the “era look” you don’t even have to finish it. Let it age naturally for a little while. But from memory – I think you posted some pictures and it was nice wood – so you may want to varnish it before you take it out.

If you or anyone wants the complete article just drop me a note with your e-mail. Good luck in getting your Canadian cut off back on the road.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Ford Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:26 pm:

Jack, we built a pickup box from scratch last year. I don't think Langs or others sell just the hardware anymore. If they do they don't seem to show it in the catalogs.

We made up a plan of the sizes of wood needed and went to a cabinet maker friend. He cut oak to our dimensions for about $175, which was about $100 cheaper than I had priced the boards I would need at Lowes, and then would have had to cut them ourselves.

We found some corner braces at a neighbors farm in his bolt bin, they were commonly used on farm wagons. We purchased the tailgate latches from one of the T venders. The rest of the hardware we fabricated from flat strap, angle iron and rod.

If you have welding equipment and a torch the hinges and other hardware aren't very hard to make. Up to finishing point I would say we had under $300, including ordering square head bolts and nuts. I will post a few pictures.

The final box was painted black with automotive finish after much priming and sanding.
Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration