Honeycomb Radiators. Can they be repaired?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Honeycomb Radiators. Can they be repaired?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 05:26 pm:

I've heard that honeycomb radiators cannot be repaired. I understand why they can't be rodded out, but can they be soldered up? Mine is leaking like a collander! Ha! Thought I was gonna say "Seive", didn't you? At over $800 for a new radiator, I just can't see doing that right now. I wish it was a fin and tube type. I prefer the original look, personnaly. But this is the one that was on it when I got it, and I guess I'll have to keep it, if I can get it fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 05:59 pm:

I allways thought you cleaned the leaking area really well,if it was a tube,pinch it shut and and solder it.I aint started on these honeycombs I have but 1 will be fixed for the next project as I like the look of them.Unless I stumble over 1 of those V shaped puppys,then it is on to see how I can scrap up the franklins to buy it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:59 pm:

Hal, leaks can be soldered up, trick is to get it really clean, then remember you can't solder uphill. If possible pinch the leak closed or the solder will just run through. If you have one of the old copper irons, they work best unless you have a jewelers torch with a very fine tip. to much heat and you unsolder somewhere else! good luck,KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:23 pm:

I've soldered up honeycomb radiators and after I did they never really worked very well. I took one of mine into a local radiator shop and had a new tube core put into it. It was a lot less than $800 and now it works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

One thing I forgot. Make sure they understand that the height is very important in order for the shell and hood to fit properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L. Jones on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:05 am:

I know this is not a "workmanlike" repair, but a friend of mine with an old Wolseley had a leak in the honeycomb radiator, found the hole and used Superglue to stop it! He claimed it worked a charm but I'm not giving guarantees. I reckon Keith's suggestion with the copper iron is the way to go as you can localize the heat. Use something like hydrocloric acid and a wire brush (Dremel) to clean the site - a bit savage but cleans great and ensures a good solder join.
My 2 cents worth.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:39 am:

I cleaned up the area around the leak's on mine with a dremel tool and put J.B. Weld on them.

It was a quick fix, and the JB weld is a lot cheaper than a new radiator. They hav'nt, but if the leak's should start to leak again, I will apply more Weld to them.

Give the stuff a try.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Hall on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:03 am:

I understand that there is a man here in Maine who is an expert with honeycomb radiators (particularly for old Chevys). I'd have to call a friend to get his name and location if anyone is interested. I believe he has a long waiting list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael F. Thomas on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:08 pm:

I've got a honeycomb radiator. I think it came off of a 16 or 17. Core measures 16 1/2 inches tall. Something has hit the side of the core and is bent in one area. I don't need it if any one is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh N.Coltharp on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:46 pm:

If the radiator is off the car, one can clean the leak area and insert a short length of small square brass tubing,(available thru hobby stores, McMaster-Carr, or model train stores), throught the core, either solder or J-B weld in place and the radiator does't loose cooling in the affected area. Also, I have inverted the radiator and run a mixture of hot water and white vinager through it backwards to flush out all the sediment, rust, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 05:39 pm:

OK. I might give it a try. How do you get all the old radiator paint off? That stuff is gummy. I don't guess it ever really dries.

Thanks,

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:20 pm:

Well,here is what worked for me on the last 1 I did,a orignal low radiator,not a honeycomb.I put it out in the hot sun,then sprayed it down with Mr Muscle oven cleaner,let it sit,then spray off with the garden hose.do it twice.Then you should use the dremel and such to get the metal you are going to solder spotless.Use the special solder for radiator repair.I have bought some at Advance auto that worked great but if you look around at flea markets and such,you can find some of the old good stuff,I cant remember the name of it,that says on the roll,"radiator special".A couple of us were discussing it on another thread not long ago,but my memory is so bad i cant think of it.
Also get the flux you rub on with the little brush, to help clean the metal.
I was lucky and used a tiny tip on my torch and was able to solder up all the cracks in the low radiator on my project,I had 1 tiny leak I missed ,out of sight on the bottom side of the tank,Real tiny.On a whim,I had a dab of black rtv on my finger from putting a gasket on something else,I just rubbed it on that leak,SEALED IT.it is black and I rubbed it and made it invisable really to the neked eye.
It is way up under there where nobody needs to be looking anyhow.

Once repaired,get a can of radiator paint from Eastwood.It is thin,wont affect the cooling abilty like regular paint will.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration