Tear in top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Tear in top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:07 pm:

My "new" '17 has a small tear in the top. The tear is in the center of the top just in front of the back bow. Does anybody have a recommended patch method? I don't want to have to take the top off to add a small 2" x 2" patch. Hand sew, glue? or? The rest of the top is like new and it appears that it was poked or caught on something.
thank you jon crane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

Hi Jon.

1. If you have a spare piece of top material or can cut a small piece from a place that does not show, cut a small neat square or round patch.
2. Bring the edges of the tear neatly together and tape over the exterior with a long piece of duct tape. Make sure edges are touching.
3. Hold the small patch against the interior surface of the top centered over the tear and trace around it with a pencil.
4. Apply a thin coat of Weldwood contact cement to both the patch and the area inside the penciled tracing mark and let dry for twenty minutes
5. Carefully apply the patch over the tear. Press in place applying pressure from both sides.
6. Allow to set. After totally cured, remove the duct tape.

Jim

PS. Frequently, it is necessary to apply two coats of contact cement as the first coat soaks into the material being cemented. If the top material is porous and the first coat of weldwood contact cement soaks in to the point of not feeling tacky after twenty minutes, it may not be enough to get a good contact and may be necessary to apply one more thin coat to both surfaces. Wait another twenty minutes and go to step 5 and 6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:27 pm:

Jon,
If you have a tarp shop near you, you might see if you can buy a small bottle of HH-66 for the glue. It is incredible stuff! Same instructions as above...can't improve on perfecton Jim...lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

Ditto what Jims says. And take special note of letting the contact cement dry. The material will swell when you apply the glue. If you apply the patch too soon, you'll have a pucker. (Don't ask how I know.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon crane on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:08 pm:

Sounding good. Question, I put the patch on the inside? Do I have the patch facing outward..ie I am gluing the black finish side of the patch to the dull inside of the top? correct? Will look into the HH 66 tarp glue on Monday. thanks jon crane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

Yes. Glue the exterior side of the patch to the interior side of the top. That way the color and texture of the interior side of the patch will match the interior of the top as you look at the patch from the inside of the car. Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration