Front timing cover gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Front timing cover gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

I finally got around to installing my cam shaft shim set. I ordered it several weeks ago, but have been putting off doing it. I needed to pull that radiator anyway, so no time like the present. Anyway, I've got a few questions.

1) The Timing Gear Gasket Set did not contain a gasket to go along the bottom of the front timing cover between the timing cover and the crankcase. It came with a two piece and a one piece gasket for the front of the engine, as well one for the generator mount and one for cars without generators. It came with the upper half of the front main seal. But no gasket to go between timing cover and the crankcase. I can make one, but you'd think it would have come with the set. Reckon why that is not included in the set?

2) The upper half of the front main seal that was in the timing cover was a rope type seal. The one in the kit is felt. Am I gonna run into problems with that felt seal?

3) I also ran into the problem of the modern oil seal for the cam shaft not fitting my timing cover. I read in the catalog how to fix that, but I haven't tried it yet. Mine's pretty loose. Anybody ever had one that wouldn't tighten up by putting it in a vise between two pieces of wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:44 pm:

"Anybody ever had one that wouldn't tighten up by putting it in a vise between two pieces of wood?"
I had one like that, there was about .040" difference between the OD of the seal and the ID of the hole in the cover.
I ended up putting a piece of .020" shim stock 1/4" wide all the way around the seal to snug it up and I also put non-hardening gasket goo on both sides of the shim, "just in case".
The ends of the piece of shim stock were placed at the top to avoid any leakage at the juncture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:32 pm:

The reason there is no lower gasket, is because that is part of the lower right and left pan gaskets. You will have to buy them, and cut the front part off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:03 am:

The rope-type seal on your main bearing is for a Model A. It was a popular substitute for the felt seal.
You can do one of two things:
1. Buy the Model A seal from one of the vendors that handles A parts (such as Snyders) and soak it in oil for a couple of days. Using a socket with a similar O.D. as the crankshaft, drive the lubricated rope seal into place then trim the ends to fit the cover (the rope seals will be too long for the T).

2. Work plenty of grease into the felt seal and insert it into the timing cover per the above instructions. Don't trim the ends if they stick out a bit. The grease aids in sealing the felt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:43 pm:

Thanks, guys. I'll use the felt seal.

I understand that the lower gasket is part of the pan gasket, but you would think they would supply a partial. It's advertised as a timing cover gasket set, but doesn't come with everything you need to replace the timing cover. I just felt let down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

Partials can be made, but I agree w/Hal that they should come w/the set.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration