Weekend Winter Trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Weekend Winter Trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

Three T's and a Shay left Dallas yesterday morning for Glen Rose, Texas. This was a repeat of the Lone Star T's Spring Tour last year. We decided a couple of months ago, that this weekend we would go again, unless it was snowing! We knew it had to be a very small group, with very dependable cars, and ours was the only one that had any trouble.

We enjoyed afternoon temps in the low 70's and had a great time. Just goes to show that you can unpack them out of the garage for a winter weekend spin!

This is one of four water crossings that we explored. Last spring the was was way to high for the majority of our group to attempt, but this was really great and those wheels got a good soaking.

From my view in the passenger seat!

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:14 pm:

It appears like the red 25 Touring? is dogbone deep in water. I will bet those neat side curtains did their job.

Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe, NM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Reid on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

Great to see the cars out. Winter? We have 2 feet of snow and One Degree F. Looking forword to getting on the roads with the T in the Spring.

Looks like you had a great area to tour.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

Ok, please solve the mystery. . . how do you know that the red touring has side curtains?

The water was not very deep, but we did get a really good splash - which left the windshield looking like this. . .

And the side curtains WOULD have worked, had they been on the car! It was too nice to be all closed up in the plastic bubble!

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

You were using them on the 2007 Mohegan(sp?) Colorado Tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

Geez,I know these old rigs lived in that type enviroment most of thier early life,but I am to skeered to even think of doing that.Did it in more modern stuff but my T,Naw I think I will take the detour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Sorry, we didn't recognize your name. We figured that was the only place that someone from New Mexico would know our car from.

And yes Andy, this would be winter in Texas! Last week it was in the mid-20's in the mornings and only in the 40's during the day. . . which really is winter for us. This trip had been planned for this weekend for two months. . . in hopes that it really would be winter. Thus the only reason not to go, heavy wind, rain or snow! But it turned out to be absolutely beautiful, we almost wished we were in the Speedster!

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:47 pm:

Three of the four crossings, the water was only a couple of inches deep at the most. . . the big crossing. . . that was different - as with the others, there was a road, the water was sitting on top of it - the fourth crossing, the water was actually flowing and the challenge was to stay on the road! You cannot see it in the pictures, but the driver and passenger(s) could very easily tell where the car should be. See how much of the tires you can see. . .

The gentleman in the Shay was the one who planned this tour last Spring. He had seen the road with no water on it at all and had mapped out exactly where the car needed to be in order not to drive off the side. We were all given explicit instructions as to where to drive, were to turn and where to take the car out at - and then he went first so that we could watch. Again, this time I must stress. . . the water was not very deep, just a few inches and it was not running hard - if it had been we would have gone back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:50 pm:

What a great trip! Of course, when the temp reaches low 70s up here, we call it the heat of summer. I always enjoy seeing pictures of T model Fords on the move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Reid on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:00 pm:

David.

Any day you can drive a T is a day well spent.
Glad to hear you had a good day.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

Kathy
Thanks for posting those pictures.
It looked like a lot of fun to me.

Kirk Peterson
PS took my touring for a spin around Santa Fe today. First nice day in a couple of months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl schlachter on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:41 pm:

Kathy, is that first pic on mtn lake road, by mountain creek lake?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:25 am:

Hi Karl,

Yes it is. . . we drove right through downtown Cedar Hill on our way out of town.

-Kathy

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration