Today we tried the cab on the chassis...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Today we tried the cab on the chassis...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:03 am:

I've been working on the fenders at the Auto Body class and have them finally straightened and primed. Today we tried putting the body on the frame to see how it will fit and how to attach it. Now the next steps in the project begin.Truck Cab on the Chassis 2/10/08

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:16 am:

John; Wipe that smile off your face, it's going to get stuck like that!

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

Lookin good John! You're gonna have fun with that!

I like my closed cab on the TT chassis, but I sure would like to have one on a car chassis for the speed issue.

Keep us posted!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 06:12 pm:

That thing looks terrific! What's the bed going to look like?

Minor side question from a guy not familiar with TT's -- are TT chassis longer?

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 07:08 pm:

Good grief, John. Where on earth did you get that crappy body? How much did they pay you to haul it away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:18 pm:

Andy, yes that is a car chassis and yes TT frames are longer and the rear part is lot more "beefy" for lack of a better word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:31 pm:

Hey, guys, thanks for the comments. We are having lots of fun!
And Dan, thank YOU for selling me that "crappy" body, as you so lovingly called it!!!! :-)
We appreciated you putting us together with it, and you are partially responsible for making Stathi and me very happy with it!!!!! Thanks again, partner, and I love your sense of humor!!!!! LOL!!
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:33 pm:

PS: We are planning to put a flat bed on it and will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks to Stan Cummings for sending me some pictures too!!!
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

John, That looks great. Love the smile. What a feeling.
One like this one can be built for about 30 bucks. Keep us updated with pictures.
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 04:39 pm:

John Pappas, for those who haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, apparently spends most of his time with that contageous, good-natured smile. He's a great guy and he and his son have made tremendous progress with their truck.

John, I really need to get to your place (all of about 11 miles away) and see the truck now that there's enough to stare at!

When do we all get to see pictures of Stathi's steam locomotive??? Chicken Kitchen looks naked without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

Hi Dan:
Those nice things you said really apply to you as well. You are one of the "real" folks, and the invitiation to come by stands. Hope you come to visit us soon!! I really enjoyed seeing all your cars and projects and riding in you depot hack!!
Stathi's locomotive is in the process of being restored. First, you take it apart (just like a car), and then you put it back together (after fixing, replacing, repairing everything that needs it). The engine is apart right now, been needle scaled, painted with rust bullet, and awaiting a tube replacement job.
Thanks Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:10 pm:

Well, then I guess for the time being it would be out of the question for you to drive the locomotive over to the house for me to see?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:18 pm:

Nice truck John! That grin says it all.

You could tag a little extra to the frame if you're concered about the length.

Frame Extension

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:28 pm:

Ken,
Are you putting "dualies" on that frame???
and John,
What's this about a steam engine??? Sounds like you're gonna be rollin' tubes. . .
Pics, we want pics!!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

Hi, Ken: Thanks for the picture. Yes, we're going to extend the bed but in a different way. We'll post some pictures when we get to it. Stay tuned.
Hey, Dan, wish we could run it over to your place!! And David, even though this is not really T related, the restoration process is similar, here are two pictures for you, before and current of the Porter Tanker Locomotive (1909):

Porter Locomotive Before
Porter Locomotive Current

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

Hey, that top picture looks like the old steamer that's parked down at the old Quaker Mills (Quaker Square) in Akron, Ohio. At least it was around 1994-95. The palm trees don't fit in though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:25 am:

John,
Love that "4449" heh, heh, heh!! Lookin' good so far! Thanks for the pics.
Ken, nope, that isn't where it was, but many "lockies" like this were built, and quite a few ended up as "trophies" on pedestals. Looks like this one "fell" into good hands!
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:25 pm:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, inquiring minds want to know: how tall is the cab once mounted on the chassis, anyway? (ground to top of cab) Will it fit in a normal garage through the garage door?

Way, way cool. Already scheming, my wife just doesn't know it yet.

-Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

All you TTguys,check out the forma truck on T-bay. Item #260212206506.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 06:49 am:

Wow Jack...thanks for posting that! Man, I'd love to have one of those, actually just like to have the axle and accessories. Don't care for that body much.

Andy, my garage has 8' doors (I wouldn't spit in the fire for a 7' door) and it's necessary for my truck, but that is a closed-cab on the TT chassis. I dont know what it would be on a car chassis. I can measure the height of mine from the rail to the top of the roof, and you can add your rail height at the cab back area and come up with a measurement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 05:39 pm:

Hi, Andy:
The height from ground to top of cab is about 82 1/2 inches. It fits in our car port very well. That was something that I worried about before I had the car port built and I on purpose got a taller one so there is PLENTY of extra space.
Good luck with your scheming and the wife by the way!!!!
:-)
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:33 pm:

A couple of folks mentioned lengthening the truck for the bed, and I said we had an idea.
Well, here it is as we tried it on last night. You know how they use wood beams for the beds, but we had this idea about a year or so ago. We had a ruined old frame that was partially cut up and wasn't really restorable (I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good part). So we thought it might be about the right length and we've been saving it until we were ready.
So we hot rivited the new cross members (like they did back in the day) and rivited on an extra set of brackets at the "rear." Now it's just about time time to clean off the rust and powder coat it and get to work on the cab body work and painting.Truck Bed Frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:45 pm:

Hey,git them white walls turned out!! :>)
Those are some nice white walls!Great idea for the bed exstenstion to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:42 pm:

Hey John, looking good buddy! This is one of the threads I always look to see if there are any new posts. Can't wait to see that truck near completion, as it is one my favorite ongoing projects on the forum.
Keep up the good work!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:46 pm:

oh, and like Mack said, you gotta turn the whitewalls out! Coker made mine where you have no choice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:59 pm:

Those whitewalls with the zig-zag tread look like old Allstates from Sears. The '27 Huckster I'm working on has those as well (mine aren't whitewalls, tho). I could use another one to use as a spare. Anybody got an extra that's not age-cracked?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions!! Maybe we will do that with the white walls. They are older tires that came with the wheels when I bought the "pile of rusty junk" so we don't know how much life they have left in them. The front ones are new ones we bought last year.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:52 pm:

You gonna make the bed into a dump? Looks like it would work!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:01 am:

Hi, Bob:
No a flat bed. We will probably make low sides to fit into stake pockets and put our "company logo" on the wooden side panels. We are having fun with the planning and problem solving as each "hurdle" presents itself. It was fun doing the rivits last night!!
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart hale on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:20 pm:

Hi John,

That's a nice lookin little 0-4-0. What are the owners plans for her? Last year, my brother and I moved a 44 ton GE to a museum and donated a 20 ton Davenport to another museum. I still have a Fairmont motorcar and some other railroad stuff. I've wanted to build a Model T inspection car, but haven't started on my first T, so that'll have to remain an idea until I get my 1916 done and some other projects done.

Stuart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:32 pm:

Hi Stuart:
The loco is my son's (he's an industrial archaeologist), and he and I and several of his friends are restoring it little by little. We also have thought of doing a T inspection car/speeder, but one T project at a time!!!!! Have you seen the T inspection car at the Sierra Railroad in Jamestown, California?
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pappas on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:52 pm:

So we've been working on the frame for the truck bed. Primed the hood and just tried it on for grins, and then decided to see how the old doors fit (they will need lots of work). This is how she looked today. You can see my wife "driving" the truck!!!John's and Stathi's "T" on Feb. 25, 2008

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration