Need HELP with panel fitting !!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Need HELP with panel fitting !!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johna on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 09:40 pm:

I am trying to fit the side panel on my 24 touring. I have new Rotlieb panels, I think that they are not bent enough at the end that meets the firewall. I can't seem to get the hole in the cowl to line up with the hole in the panel unless i bend the end to almost a 90 degree angle. I thought i would check in with you guys before i mess up the panel. The sites and threads you sent me to has really helped. I am actully making some progress (little as it may be)
I also included a picture of the seem that Rotlieb cut. I think this should be butt welded, allowing a 1/16" for the saw blade. what do you think?
JohnDoes this need more bend?Does this need more bend2?Does this need more bend3?Does this need more bend4?panel seam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:17 am:

Yikes! Those are "new" panels? That flange looks like it's bent out a little but I can't tell what piece it is. Is that the lower (side) cowl piece? (Between firewall and door opening?) Stand back and provide a wider view of what you're working on.

I'd have to look at my Touring to be sure but I think there might be a lap joint at the bottom. This area is often rusted and many "fix" it by plastering the seam with Bondo. When Ford hid joints, there was a lap joint then it was leaded. I'll have to get back to you on the seam. Is that front or rear door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:43 am:

Ken,

None of the Rootlieb stuff is primed anymore. The last sheet metal I received had quite a few rust blooms starting by the time it made it to Michigan. They send the panels with some kind of oily rust preventative but it's not that effective. One of the results of the California VOC regulations, I presume.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration