One last time: TT Rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: One last time: TT Rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sebastien Landry on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 03:04 pm:

I would like to confirm the following. A while back you guys told me that I could use late model rims to replace my 20" TT rims (locking ring type) that are beyond repairable.

Can I use 30-31 AA rims from which I remove the center hub by grinding the rivets?

I was also told that i could use rims from 1 ton V8 also. Is this correct.

Sorry, i want to be clear before I buy something.

thanks all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 03:56 pm:

If you cannot find a usable 20 inch TT rim then as someone else pointed out, you could take a 20 inch AA rim and remove the center, then weld the rivet holes closed.

I saw one man who used some 20 inch rims from a school bus or large truck and cut/welded them so as to work. I wouldn't hesitate to take a section out of a rim and weld in another portion if the damage on yours are localized.

I believe these are Dayton style rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Van Norman on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:29 am:

I have done this using the front rims from a 1950 Ford F-5 truck. However this later style is heavier with a slight radius on the inside near the locking ring. I had to remove .020" from the inside for about a 1/2" near the locking ring. Other than drilling out the rivets and removing hub as mentioned above this was the only work done and they fit my TT great.
Please be very careful when airing up your tire for the first time on a locking ring rim. Be on the back side of the wheel or face the locking ring side away from your person when airing up. These rings have flown off if not properly seated and can cause severe injury or death.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:49 am:

On another thread some new 1's are avaliable at a reasonable price.
But about airing them up.I allways wrap a 3/8ths or 1/2 inch log chain around the wheel several times before airing up and of course stand to the side.I had a coworker that wouldnt even walk near a split rim.He watched his brother die pumping 1 up,the lock ring wound up after killing his brother instantly ,going out the roof of the building..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sebastien Landry on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:42 am:

Thanks Gentlemen,

I will start posting the HOW TO as soon as I get my new BUDD style rims in. I will take pictures of the progress so that other TT entousiast can do the same. I may have found some for $35 each. A far cry from the price of new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:04 am:

Mack; I have had to investigate 12 - 15 of these types of incidents in my career and they aren't pretty. Some of the worst are not when the person died, but when they survived.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:36 am:

As a kid in high school I worked at a Firestone dealer and changed many a truck tire as well as farm equipment tires.

On lock ring type rims such as a TT has, without the aid of a safety cage to inflate them in I wrap them with log chain. I always tapped the ring when the initial inflation began to ensure it was fully seated in the groove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:05 pm:

One of the 20" rims on my rear TT wheels is the AA rim with the holes welded. When I clamped the rims onto the wheels I found that the AA rim is slightly wider than the TT rim. Not enough to be a big problem, but the clamp bolts don't extend all the way though the nuts on the AA rim. Otherwise the rims appear identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:01 am:

Thank you Sebastien,
Please do post the BUDD wheel conversion you've perfected for the TT. I have six 6.50 X 20 BUDD wheels in excellent condition I'd sell that cheap. How would the BUDD style look on the rear and wood spokes on the front??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sebastien Landry on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:02 am:

George,

I sent you a note, I'd be interested if you want to sell some of them rims.

Sebastien

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:05 am:

Sebastien,,,,Where are you located ??? I may sound like a Fuddie - Duddie here,,,,BUT those split rims are like a bomb if they are not handled right....I was aways told to make sure the ring, matched the wheel,,That is Never mix-n-match wheel parts...Even 15Lbs. of air in a wheel that doesn't match the ring,,can be deadly....Heed what Mr. Cole in the above post said...have a pro look @ your project before you air it up.....We don't want to loose ANY fellow "TT" drivers Carl aka Spanky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:47 am:

Yea when I say killed instantly,I do mean that,as in the man was taken away in parts,Do be carefull messing with those.
IT would great if somebody would use their head that reproduces parts that would make a tubeless,1 peice rim that you could install the tire on without all these dangers.but apparently I am on the only Fuddie - Duddie here that thinks it is possiable to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sebastien Landry on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 03:15 pm:

Thanks Gentlemen,

It's nice to see you care so much for your TT fellow hobbyist. I will be carefull when airing these and I may just take them to somebody to air them but if I decide to do it myself, chances are that they will be caged and chained.

I also heard of such a story with airport passenger boarding bridges wheels.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration