Startup of rebuilt engine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Startup of rebuilt engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

Hello guy's & gal's, I'm new to the MTFCA and this forum. I recently acquired a couple of "T"'s (A 21 Runabout and a 22 Speedster. The Speedster didn't run when I got it, and it tok me a couple of weeks to get it going. However it has a significant engine knock (probably a rod?). When I bought it, it came with what the PO claimed was a newly rebuilt 2nd engine (he had bought it at an estate sale). It does appear to have been rebuilt but not sure how long ago. Here is my question: Is there anything specific I should be doing after I switch engines other than adding new oil. Has anyone used a product called "Smart Blend Engine Primer" http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=11173
I'm not sure where to inject this stuff if I was to use it?
Thanks for any advice, I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:18 pm:

The last rebuilt engine that I installed and started had 2 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of diesel fuel for the initial test. The engine started with the starter. The first three or four turns were tight and then it turned easily. The engine might have ran ten minutes at a time for an hour total. Then the oil was drained and replaced with 5W-30. That appears to be a winning mixture, as the engine is running great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By val Soupios on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:53 pm:

I have always run a new engine for 5 minutes the first time then let it cool down completely (usually the next day) and then run it again for 5 minutes. After letting it cool down completely after the second time I run it for 15 minutes or until it starts to overheat, whichever happens first. I keep doing the 15 minute thing every day until I can start the car cold with the crank at which point I change the oil and run her easy for the first 250 miles. If the motor was rebuilt right it should be so tight that it can't be cranked by hand for the first few starts unless you are a gorilla. I use straight 30W oil for the break in period because multiweight oil breaks down with the excessive heat generated by a tight rebuid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:53 am:

If one or all of the rods were set up too tight, or if they were assembled dry you could burn out a rod on a new engine. I would pull the small pan and check the rods. Be sure to mark the caps so you can put them back on the same way they came off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:31 am:

Take the plugs out, squirt some oil down the holes and hook up a tow strap so the car can be pulled by a pickup. Put the T in high gear before you start pulling. Then just cruise around a parking lot for 30 minutes at 10 - 15 MPH, stopping every ten minutes for another squirt of oil down each hole.

We did this on my 1915 engine which was rebuilt real tight by Ron Miller. It started on the first pull of the crank when the plugs were installed after after this pre - start break in treatment.

It also does not hurt to run some 2 stroke motorcycle oil in your gas for the first few tanks in a new engine(read directions for mixing ratio). Some people like to run Marvel Mystery oil or automatic transmission fluid in their gas which does the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:59 pm:

Thanks for the tips Guy's, I'll update when I get it changed over. I did try and turn it over with the crank, but that was a no go.

Thanks again
RodThis is where the rebuilt engine goes- it-s quite the conversation piece .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration