Outside Oil Line: How Much Oil?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Outside Oil Line: How Much Oil?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:29 pm:

How much oil should you see from the outside oil line? I started mine up tonight with the oil line disconnected from the front of the engine. I saw no trace of oil. I did not have the radiator on the the truck, so I didn't run it more than 15-20 seconds. Does it take longer than this to get it flowing? Does the oil have to be warmed up before it flows? I'm guessing it was probably 70 degrees or so out there. I was comfortable in short sleeves, so it's not like arctic weather or anything.

This is the type that comes off the magneto post. From looking at that end, I can't say I'm surprised it's not working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:14 pm:

Hal if it's that warm out, put a garden hose on the engine and let it run. If you don't get any oil after a couple minutes, try blowing out the line. You did check to see if there was any in the engine, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Whiteman on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:33 pm:

I left mine disconnected at the front as it wasn't working (useless thing!). Drove around the block. Then had to explain to the neighbours about the heavy oil slick along the road and back into my drive! Once she warmed up, I now know it works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 07:34 am:

The outside oiler on my car flows oil within seconds - using the electric starter on a cold (60F) engine. It looks like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 08:32 am:

I like the type Seth is showing the best as it picks oil up that is being slung off by the flywheel. The only downside (and it is small), is that you must remove the hogshead to install it. As an interim oil line, I tapped the Bendix cover and piped it directly to the #1 connecting rod dip. When I do eventually pull the hogshead I will install the type Seth is using.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:05 pm:

My 23 has one on each side. I was checking them one day and found that I couldn't even blow 100 psi air thru it. I took it off at the hogs head and found that it was completely plugged with silicone seal.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

Thanks guys. I will give it a little more time next time. I was just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 04:59 pm:

I meant to say the one on the right side was plugged.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:44 pm:

At idle you might not get to much oil from an outside oiler. You can take the band inspection cover off and you will see what I mean. But don't rev it up to much or you will get a gusher.
It is good to look in there while it is running, gives you a new look at how it works. You can see the drums turning and even push the pedals and watch things happen.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration