Original Timers: How Grounded?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Original Timers: How Grounded?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

I bought a Ford script timer at a swap meet a couple of weeks ago. Tonight I tried to put it on. The roller will not ground the coils. The bracket that holds the roller is well grounded. After removing the timer case, I touched the nuts to various parts to see if I could hear buzzing. It would buzz when I touched any piece except the roller. It's like the roller is insulated from the bracket it spins on.

Have any of you had this problem? How do you fix it? I fixed it by putting my New Day back on, but that wasn't the fix I was looking for.

Thanks,

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:51 pm:

Probably corrosion/rust. The roller should be free spinning with little slop on the axle pin. Is the spring installed on the roller assembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:03 pm:

Yes, the spring is on there. When I first pulled it out of the drawer, I noticed that the roller was not so free spinning. I punched the rivet a lick or two with the head in a small socket. to let some pressure off of it. That seemed to work. It turns freely now, but it won't ground out for love nor money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:09 am:

Hal, do you have a wire wheel on your bench grinder?
If so, spin the roller w/that for a bit and then recheck for continuity.
A little oil will probably help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

Good Idea! I will try that.

Thanks,

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:18 pm:

UPDATE:

I tried to loosen it on the bench grinder, but no luck. So, I ground off the rivet and drove it out. In case you've never been inside one of these, there's a spacer inside the roller that is a little longer than the the roller is thick. The rivet passes through the center of the spacer and should hold the spacer tightly to the brush assembly. The roller simply rotates on the spacer. Since the spacer is longer than the roller is thick, there's no way it can bind up if rivetted too tight. Mine had the spacer and the roller seized up tight and was rotating on the rivet. The bit of corrosion or what have you that had the roller and spacer seized together was acting as an insulator, therefore no continuity between the roller and the rest of the brush assembly. I drove the spacer out and cleaned everything up, oiled it real good, and rivetted it back together with a cut off 6d common nail. Although I've not put it back on the truck yet, it has good continuity now according to my meter. So, if any of you are like me and enjoy messing around with the original stuff, even though you know there's better stuff out there. You'll know what to do if this happens to you.

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

no to go to far off topic but why did you switch from the New day? That is the 1 with a brush right?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration