2008 Centennial Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 2008 Centennial Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Scheffler on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:44 pm:

Right now Im debating if Im going to the Centennial T Party at all Id hate to miss it, but if I do go Id love to bring my car. However since my car is a 1913 Touring with no fuel pump (gravity fed only) I have to ask one simple question. Just how hilly is the Richmond Area? If youve ever gotten stuck on a hill youd know what Im talking about. Most times backing up a hill is not an option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:58 pm:

I have a 1913 runabout with no fuel pump. I drove it on the 2005 New England Brass and Gas, which was in New Hampshire and Vermont and had monumental hills. I live in a hilly neighborhood. As long as the tank is 1/3 full, I absolutely never have a problem with fuel starvation. In hilly country, I don't let it get below half full, just to be on the safe side.

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:21 pm:

Most of the Rchmond area is not that hilly. You keep tank toped off,you should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:

Bill, I drove my '14 touring up Pike's Peak this summer without a fuel pump, only gravity feed. Started out with a full tank, and had to top off the gas tank at milepost 16 though. So carry some extra gas just in case. And backing is always fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:47 pm:

Bill: Both my 12 and 15 are stock (gravity feed) and I live in the mountains. There are three places on the drive home where the grade is steep enough to require low gear and I have never had a problem with fuel flow. I do make sure that the fuel tank is half or more full when heading home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:33 am:

I went up MT Evans in CO over 14,000. Gravity feed only. Never missed a lick. 1913 Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:32 am:

I also went over trail ridge in Colorado (12,000 ft.) gravity feed only and never missed a lick. I also run a 3/8" fuel line with an in-line filter. I have had problems with fuel starvation when using an in-line filter and 1/4" line. In-line filters were designed for use with fuel pumps....however, I have had no problems with gravity feed using a 3/8" line and in-line filter. "Les"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:08 am:

Pressurising a fuel tank, where fuel level is low, with eg a bicycle tyre pump is discussed in this thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=29&post=56862#POST56862

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 08:18 am:

Bill Scheffer:

Last year the Mohegan Tour went over 7 passes over 9,000 feet in Colorado and Wyoming. One pass, Trail Ridge is over 11,000 feet. There was 68 Model Ts on the Tour with no problems. I would guess that 90% did not have a fuel pump. In 1989 We had the National Tour, with 217 Ts in Estes Park, Colorado. This tour included Trail Ridge and Glen Haven. Glen Haven Grade must be some where around 8 1/2 percent. There was not one problem with gas.

What I am trying to say is I have never heard of anyone that keeps a reasonable amount of gas in their tank ever having a problem on any hill.

Rainbow Curve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Campbell on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:22 am:

When I lived in NJ and was working on a degree at Ball State in Muncie, I used to get off the interstate, I-70 I believe, at Richmond to get to Muncie. Not very hilly at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:54 am:

Bill, carry a two gallon can with you just in case. Make sure you fill up every morning. You could rig up a pump or even just a pressure cap (off a modern car), but I don't think your going to need it. I can't imagine the hills in Indiana being any worse than the hills your already used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Scheffler on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:17 am:

Thanks everyone for the great feed back and good ideas. I'm now one step closer to going.

Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration