Tire Flaps Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Tire Flaps Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney A. Marcom on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:15 am:

Hi all,
After installing a new set of tires on the front during the past couple of days, I happened to re-read some information in Lang's Catalog about the flaps -- to wit: 24" for the 30 x 3 and 23" for the 30 x 3 1/2... Well, you can imagine what I have done... Yes, I put the 23" flaps in the front 30 x 3 tires... I was planning on replacing the rear tires after an upcoming HCCA Tour in FL next week. My question is-- what, if any harm or danger has been caused by the installation of the wrong size flaps? An urgent answer is necessary, since I am scheduled to depart for the tour on 2/16/2008
Thanks in advance,
Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:16 am:

Just moving this back up in hopes Rod can get the answere he needs.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:33 am:

I don't see any problem. If this slightly smaller diameter flap is inside the tire, and the tube is pushing it against the rim, how can there be any issue.

I recently put my tires on the wheels and I found plenty of adjustment on the 23" diameter 30x3.5 flaps I used from Universal. They're plenty long and would have worked on a 30x3 setup easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:38 am:

no problem at all. flaps are there just to keep the tube from puncturing against the rim while installing the tire. I see no problem at all. If it isn't broke...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:51 am:

Rod,
The difference between 30x3 and 30x3 1/2 tires is the width, so I cannot understand why there is a different flap diameter suggested for front and rear. As long as the flap fits and the tube is not pinched or folded over and you used talcum powder on the tube, you should be OK. When I put on a tire I always spray some talcum powder on the inside of the tire and rub some on the tube and flap to keep the tire, tube, and flap from sticking together. I also inflate the tire then deflate and bounce it around a bit to make sure the tube is not pinched, then re-inflate. Since you do not have demountable rims and your wheels are probably still on the car, you may want to delete the bouncing part of the inflate, deflate,re-inflate thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:03 am:

jeff, its more than the width, the 30x3 rim is 25" and the 30x3 1/2 is 24".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:17 am:

I do funny math here is Houston, but the way you get rim size is multiply two times the "tire" height(it is on two sides of the rim) and subtract it from the overall size.
30X3 comes out to 24" and 30X3 1/2 comes out to 23". In other words, the front rim is 1" larger diameter than the rear on the early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank R. on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:34 am:

All the old tires I've broken down have the flap ends overlapping. Some slightly and others a lot. I figured many shops carried one size and used what they had. The difference is about 3" on the circumference. As the long as the flap covers the rim there shouldn't be a problem. It's there to keep the tube from scuffing on the rim and spoke ends. I've found pieces of burlap and what looked like parts of old tubes in some. The others had what looked like felt with a rubberize center band. I don't know if these were original or not but I cleaned them up and reused them. If vendors are selling separate flaps, the difference must be the length so a 30x3 flap should fit a 30x3 1/2. The opposite might not be true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 05:35 pm:

I bought flaps for some 28 x 3 tires for an early car I have.
I bought them from Universal and they are endless rather than having ends that overlap.
They sure were dirty and greasy right out of the package.
This was difficult to deal with as I installed smooth white tires on this car.
They were not easy to install!
I cleaned them up before installation.
Was this a good or bad thing to have done?
Were they lubricated on purpose?
They seem to be holding up well over the winter...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 05:49 pm:

I'm guessing it was mould release compound on them. I had the same thing with mine. I cleaned them off real good and powdered them well with baby powder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Maxwell on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:12 am:

Flaps....
each flap is different.
30x3 flaps are 24" X 4" wide
30x3 1/2 flaps are 23" X 4 1/2" wide
Each flap is tapered on the edges to allow the edges to fit snug up in between the tube and tire carcass.
The are delivered with oily feel to do the same as Talcum... I am sure they would not make them that way if it would not help the cause. I know it's dirty, but come on, your dealing with tires :-)
Older flaps have been made of many types of fabrics...Cotton, Felt, rubber, etc.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me.
Regards,
Eric
Universal Vintage Tire

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration