Outer rear axle assembly help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Outer rear axle assembly help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Costain on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

I have the rear outer bearing installed -----
What goes on next in the proper order?
I have a new felt washer,(do I use 2 felts?) thin large washer and the end cap and do I have to beat the end cap on as it is really tight.
Thanks
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:24 pm:

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
I am purty sure it is thin washer to the bearing,felt washer,cap.I had to grind off the outside of my washers to allow them to fit inside the sleeve.Before I did that,they held out the felt and the cap to the point the hub was mashing against the stuff and tightening the wheel up.
1 felt washer.ANd if i aint bad mistaken,you may need to trim some of the outside of the felt so it will fit right,but dont hold me to that.It has been a few months since my rearend was worked on and my memory aint to good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

Joe, On some of the Model T rear wheels I've worked on none of the outer caps/retainers I had on hand would fit far enough on the housing no matter how I coaxed or cussed at them and on two occassions I used a hack saw to cut a slit into the side of the cap as an "expansion joint" where the cap/retainer could comfortably yet snugly be tapped on with a wooden mallet. I must have had some odd sized or old repro caps but it worked on two occassions anyway for me. Maybe others can explain how they get theirs on without cussing! :-) .....Michael Pawelek
PS- I found a pair of these aftermarket retainers on ebay a few weeks back for 99 cents and plan to try them out in the future.
eryj869,67i,mr678,4467

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

AH! So that is the story on that wierd looking cover on the 26 rear axle I had cleaned up.I thought it was a hose clamp around the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:18 pm:

In 1919 the ends of the axle housings were modified.
The earlier ones used cap # 2510, with an ID of 2-13/32".
The later ones use cap # 2510-1/2, with an ID of 2-7/16".
Obviously if you're trying to put the earlier caps on a later axle housing it's an awful tight fit.
Info taken from "Model T Ford", by Bruce M., page 586.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:19 am:

Snyder's catalog only lists one cap for 1918-27 as a T-2510 so no wonder I have had problems with this in the past with my late 1919 rear housings. I wonder if the Snyder's catalog is a misprint or the cap they sell is supposed to be a "one size fits all". Do any of the other parts dealers have the 2510-1/2 in stock?....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:40 am:

Michael, if this won't get me in trouble, I can tell you that I carry the two different sizes made by Watts. Email me off forum for details if you're interested.

rvmodelt@madbbs.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Costain on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:48 pm:

R.V. Anderson
I just sent you an email.
Joe

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration