How close is your serial # to mine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: How close is your serial # to mine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:46 pm:

Good day everyone.
I have three Ts that are almost the way that they left the factory in that they were'nt put together from parts. A few things changed, some paint and mechanical work, but probably more that 95% of their original parts still with them. They all still have their original upholstery and particularly their engines. So I got to wondering just how close to my Ts did any of yours come off the assembly line. I thought it would be quite amazing if anyone had a serial number consecutive to one of mine. Tens of thousands (or more) Ts still around. Who knows? Thanks for taking a look and responding.

Bryan

1910 touring #21904
1922 coupe #5927478
1922 touring #6312140

'10  touring'22 coupe'22 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:30 pm:

Hi Bryan,
I have #21631. That's just 273 numbers apart. It sounds like mine is very similar to yours (original upholstery, at least 95% or its original parts).
Where was yours was shipped?
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:48 pm:

Hey Chris:
How can you tell where a T had been shipped by the serial # or am I reading this wrong. I have a 25 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:32 pm:

The Benson Research Library has most of the data sheets for the early (1909-early 1911) Model T's.
These show where they were shipped, and how they were equipped.
Sorry, nothing on cars later than that,
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:57 pm:

Thanks Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:58 am:

Bryan, I think my TT is a little younger than yours (about 7203445 units).

# 13515585, April 1926

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:59 am:

Bryan, did you buy that '10 recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

Bryan,

Please check the right front floor baord riser on your 1922 touring and see if there is an embossed on imprinted number and/or letter there. Thanks.

If there is, please post and/or e-mail me what it says. Thanks.

And you never know what you will find. At Trent's page at: http://oz.plymouth.edu/~trentb/ModelT/Torpedo2/TorJune16Y2K.html he shares about another Torpedo that was made the day before his car. Note for the earlier cars it is much easier to figure things out. For the later cars the engine or engine number could have been shipped to another assembly plan and one car could have been produced in Californina ant the other a month eariler or later on the other side of the USA.

Respectfully requested,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:50 pm:

Hey Bryan, glad to see the 10 still looks great. I trust it continues to perform well. It was the strongest running T I ever saw up to 30 mph, even with the heavy flat top cast iron pistons. I suspect the early cam had a lot to do with its performance. Quite an original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:53 pm:

Hi Chris, Hi Ray,
My '10 was shipped to Bluffton, Indiana where it was sold to a Mr. Linn, a farmer. His son Walter kept the car until his passing in 1979. He had brought it out to California in 1977. It's changed hands several times since then. I bought the car about three years ago.
Chris, it looks like your '10 was built on April 20th and mine on the 21st. Not too far off.
Thanks for responding gentlemen.

Bryan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

Hap,
the touring is at my mom's. I'll check on the number this weekend if I don't forget.
Richard,
Yes the car still runs great. It goes like a scalded ape. I'm amazed at the low end torque it seems to have.

Bryan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:12 pm:

Bryan,
I don't have the sheet in front of me, but I believe April 20th is correct.
Neat to know of one just a day different. Looks like yous has Brown lights, also. Interesting that yours has the roll-down windshield. Mine did not originally. I have photos of it before restoration.
Here's a recent picture.
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 01:09 am:

Chris,
Thanks for the photo. Good looking T. Glad you kept the original upholstery. Yes, mine has Brown lights. Also Kingston carb, Kingston coils, Rands windshield. The manufacturing invoice also indicates the original equipment tires were Diamond brand. I can't make out much else due to the poor quality of the copy. Wheels could be Kelsey. The first letter is obviously a K. It seems a bit odd that Ford would have supplied the roll down windscreen this far into production. maybe someone found a supply of them laying in a corner of the factory.

Bryan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:56 am:

Chris -- I see your car is equipped with the elusive oval plaque on the dash. Good going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:28 am:

Bryan and Mike,

Thank you for the compliments, but I can't take the credit. I've had the car less than a year. First drove it about a dozen years ago (when I was 22 or 23), wanted it ever since.

We will keep the original upholstery as long as possible, but we use the car quite a bit. We'll also have 2 car seats in the back this summer. I'll do the best I can to protect it. It did quite well last year.

I believe our cars were supplied the same except mine has the Jacobson-Brandow coilbox.

The AACA Senior is from 1982. Neat that it won with the original upholstery. Easier to do that then.

Thanks again,
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

Just a quick story about your car Bryan. My back yard faces a hill. Natoma Street in Folsom. Its not much of a grade unless you're in a Model T. I have owned Ts that could barely make it up the hill in high. Most could, but only at the peak torque range, about 20 mph. I once loaded your car with myself and three others. One person in the back seat weighed over 300 lbs. All in all, passenger weight was roughly 800 lbs. Your car climbed that hill in high gear going about 30 mph and you didn't even detect a slow down. It honestly ran that hill just like on the flat. Quite a testament to original engineering.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration