Rear Axle Ring Gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rear Axle Ring Gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Just an update on the availability of ring gears. I spoke with one of the vendors this week and he said it's looking like it will be the middle of the summer before they're available and that the price will be nearly double what they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks for the updated info sir.A few of us were discussing this today over a project that had to be stopped and took back apart because of defective parts.Looks like it will gather more dust before finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

Yeah, them boats from China take a while to get here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

this is 1 part I hope is still made here.But by someone who cares about quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Harlamoff on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:28 pm:

Hello,
I have just learned about the ring and pinion problems. I bought a 3:1 ring and pinion from Snyders about 4 months ago. Will I have a problem with it or is the problem unique to the standard gear ratio? I was going to buy a new set of standard gears for my 13 T, but I guess I will have to put the old ones back it...
Any history or advice on the problem would be greatly appreciated...
Brian
13 Runabout
25 Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:14 pm:

I didn't think any problems were with the reproduction ring gears? There were some questions about reproduction pinion gears that were heat treated too brittle and were snapping in two. Also the reproduction rear axle roller bearings are known to be garbage and have caused countless failures.

First I have heard of ring gear problems - what's the story other than they are back ordered? I don't think I would ever use any of them but it would be nice to know if there is a bad part out there to avoid.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 08:29 pm:

Royce -- The only problem I'm aware of with the ring gears is that the bolt holes in them are not aligned as the originals were. Originally, the holes were aligned with a tooth. The repros have the holes aligned with or partly into the valleys between the teeth, so it's often necessary to grind a bit off the ends of the bolts so they don't touch the teeth of the pinion gear.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration