Magneto question........................

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Magneto question........................
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:01 pm:

Ok, let's say I had a NOS magneto from an older T. Is it not identical to a starter era magneto except for the knotch? Couldn't I cut or grind the starter knotch into the older magneto and have one that would work just fine? Anybody ever done this?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

I have never personally done this but I know several people who "claim" to have done just that. I have no reason to doubt them but cannot give you any more info than that. Just be careful NOT to wound the winding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:00 pm:

If you do, you might have to then wind the wounding :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

I beleive I would find someone that wanted a nos old style and swap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

I have done this once. I used a die grinder with a carbide cutter. Just need to take your time and be careful. Be sure you have another to use for comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:05 am:

Thanks everybody, I might try it once to see how it goes.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:17 am:

What no one has said is; there are different mag coil rings and there are different magnets.
MAGNETO

(First 17,500 cars)
Magneto coil had double-stack round coils mounted on a pressed-steel ring. The ring had holes of about the same diameter as the coils, located just inside the coils. The magnets were of an elaborate forged design, 1/2 thick.

(17,501-20,500)
Coil is similar to the earlier type but no longer has the holes in the pressed-steel mounting ring. Magnets are similar to the earlier type but now 9/16 thick.

1910-1914
At #20,501 The magneto was redesigned. The coil ring is now a casting and again has the holes near the coils. The coils are still double-stacked. The magnets are of the simple bent type and are now 5/8 thick.

1914-1917
At #572,437 the magneto was again redesigned to accommodate magnets of 3/4 thickness. The coils are now oval-shaped, still double-stacked.

1917-1918
The coils are now single-stack but otherwise similar to the above.

1919-1923
Similar to the 1918 type but the ring now has a notch to clear the starter shaft.

1923-1927
Coil modified to now use 3/16 wide copper windings instead of the 1/4 used earlier

Barrowed fron the online Encylopedia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 09:11 am:

AAAAwwwww Mark,
Good to know. The NOS magneto I got is a '17-'18. So, that makes it single stacked and 1/4" wide windings. My engine and transmission are a '25. I would think the only thing effected by the wider windings setting the gap. Is this true?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:37 am:

Gap setting is the same. 1/4 and 3/16 mag rings are basically interchangeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:41 am:

Thanks John
So, it should work then right?

Thanks, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:27 pm:

One of my 1926 engines had the notch cut in the Mag Coil Frame. That is not a problem, if you can grind the notch and avoid tearing the coil covering.

A 1926 Mag Field Coil Ring will work on a 1911 engine, with a 1926 Flywheel and Magnets and a 1926 starter style transmission cover to match. Seems like the 1911 originally had a double stack coil ring and thinner magnets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration