Front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim williams on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:06 am:

quick question: are all stock front axles the same from 1909-1927. just the axle, NOT the spindles or any of the steering components.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:28 am:

Tim,

The very early axles are a lot different from the later ones. The first axles were T-202 and used a one-piece spindle and spindle arm forging.

t-202a

When they changed to the two-piece spindle and spindle arm, they needed more room in the jaw of the axle and developed the T-202B.

t-202b

Otherwise the axles are very similar thoughout production.

Tom
Piquette Ts Model T Centennial
Detroit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:38 am:

There were variation in the later production axles too. While dimensionally the same, on close examination, they are different. Some had Ford some had just numbers, some had forging dates. I've got four or five and no two are alike. I suspect because they were provided by outside sources.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Chennell on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:08 am:

I discovered a while back that there's a variation in the (very) late axles that's fairly noticeable - the outer webs between the spring perch and the spindle housing varied in width. The late "truck" (no one seems to be able to verify what exactly they were used on) axles had a thicker, straighter web, while the rest of the axles used a tapered, thinner web in the same area.

Suggest you read "Front Axle Comments" at http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fr1 It was very helpful to me in my quest to discover exactly what the hieroglyphics on my front axles meant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim williams on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:01 am:

thank you all for your input. i have a worn out front axle on my 25 T speedster and need to replace it, preferably not with the wrong axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:41 am:

Tom, I notice the drawing for the early axel shows a counterbore in the threaded kingpin hole. My late 10 front axel has no counterbore there requiring that I machine a recess in the kingpin just above the end of the threads so the kingpin will bottom and the threads will be completely hidden in the lower arm. The counterbore was a definite improvement but it must have been late in coming, ie very late 10 or early 11.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:41 am:

Ken and all, Tha dated axles were used in TT trucks. The date was on both sides of axle. I have one where the dates differ by about three days. Still trying to figure out how that happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

I have a front axle dated for 1921 on my 21 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

I have a dated 1922 axle under my roadster pickup project.Didnt know it was TT.Literally triped over it on the side of a country road years back,decided to use it on this 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 04:39 pm:

The dated axle I have was mounted under my 25 Touring. It's a late 25 and as I recall, the date was only a month or two prior to the cars production number. I obviously don't have the axle in front of me but you're right Jack, the front and back dates were different as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:52 pm:

How does a front axle get worn out...to the extent that it can't be repaired??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

Honestly,unless it got bent,or rusted thin,I dont see how anything else that went wrong couldnt be delt with.
The dated axle I have had defective threads on what I used as the right hand side.I took the axle to a machine shop,he set it up in a machine,bored the hole oversize,cut a bushing,pressed it in,then set the axle back in the bridge port I think,and threaded it.All the while makeing sure it was correctly angled and so forth.I watched him do it and still aint sure how he kept it centered but he did.Worked great.

There is alot of axles out there that were drilled for wagon conversions.I aint so sure I would use 1 of them on a driver unless I had nothing else handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim williams on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

my axle holes where the bushings for the kingpins go are worn out with extensive play in it. Anyone in Oregon planning going to the April swap meet at the expo center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank R. on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 01:14 am:

Are you talking about the spindles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:25 am:

My axel has D T-202 on it...
Does anyone know roughly what year this would go with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger K on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:08 pm:

Here's a picture of a 1925 european drop frame tudor. The axle and spindles are different from american production.

This project car was for sale in Sweden recently, more pictures here: http://www.skebo.ac/Karbins/ford/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:28 pm:

Intersting, also no one has mentioned the late 27, I think, axles that are "bowed" in the center, similar to the Model A front axle.
T'
Davd D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:55 pm:

Tim-
I'll be at the Portland Swap Meet in April. I know I have a buddy who will have one there.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:13 am:

Unless someone has found documentation more recently, the interesting thing about the '27 bowed axles is that the factory number and part number were not changed. In other words, it's obvious these axles exist but no prints have been found to document this change. The rev level on the bowed axles is the same as the straight ones. I believe if you check one of these late axles out you'll find that the camber is different than the typical axle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration