Engine block- simple question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Engine block- simple question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

Simple or dumb question, I'm not sure, but probably the latter. I'm considering buying a spare '23 block and am looking to confirm that a block for an engine that uses a starter is the same as a non-starter block. The starter only affects the hogs head and engine pan, right?

Sorry, still learning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:08 pm:

The timing cover is different for the starter block also. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:45 pm:

The difference would be if it allowed a generator to charge the starting battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

Many have put starters on a non-starter block.
Some have no means of recharging the battery, some use a belt driven alternator, some get a low recharge off the mag.
Given a choice I would choose a '19 and later block so I could use a stock T generator if I ever wanted to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 02:14 pm:

Okay, thanks for your comments. Are timing covers interchangeable, meaning no difference on the block itself, only the timing cover?

I hadn't thought about the generator. I'll look at my block to see where the generator connects and will compare with the block I'm interested in. Just an assumption, but I'd guess that there were far fewer non-generator/non-starter engines made in 1923 than those that allow starters and generators.

Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:09 pm:

For a 1923 block all were made to accept a generator I think. See this:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng2

Royce

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration