Question about body shims for a centerdoor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Question about body shims for a centerdoor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By galen west on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 02:52 pm:

Does anyone know how thick the shims between the body and the frame are in a centerdoor.Mine had all been removed leaving the body sitting directly on the frame. It appears to level the body that one side needs thicker shims than the other. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:16 pm:

Galen:

I have had three Center doors (still have one) and none ever had shims between the main cills and the frames. I have never heard of this but maybe someone has ???

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=ncmtc

never summer Range

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

They didn't come with shims. But, due to sagging door wood and frames, many now require a shim or two to help line up the door latches.

If your car's body leans to one side, I'd suspect either misalignment of the front or rear spring in the frame or a rotted main sill on the body itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By galen west on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

Dave and Eric, Thanks guys for the help. Galen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:58 pm:

Galen,

For additional information about shimming Centerdoor doors see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/27109.html

As Eric pointed out Ford did not use shims on the Centerdoor or other bodies when he assembled them to the chassis. But Ford was working with new bodies, frames, etc. and things lined up well (or actually -- Ford didn't mind a little space between the fenders and the splash aprons etc.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration