Bent hubcaps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Bent hubcaps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 05:41 pm:

One of the rear hubcaps that came with my TT had a couple of pretty good dents that prevented it from screwing on. Here's the solution that made it round enough to fit.

I clamped a couple of 2x4 blocks together, and cut a hole through them with a 2.5" hole saw. Then I could set the hubcap in one of the blocks and tap the dents out from the inside with a hammer and a rounded stick. The hubcap isn't perfect, but it looks pretty good and screws on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 06:08 pm:

Good tip Steve. That's the basis for all sheet metal work too. If you don't have the right shape tool, make it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

Thanks Steve. I've had two for a long time that looked better than 2 of the ones on the car, but couldn't use them for the same reason. I'd almost decided to buy new ones (but then I'd have to buy 4 to get them all to match!). You've solved my problem and saved me money. Thanks again,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 09:52 pm:

Another idea that might work I used as a kid back in my beer can collecting days. I would cut the top or bottom out of a can that had been crushed and mount a big round dowel rod in a vice then slide the can or in this case hub cap on the round stick and pound out the dents with a rubber hammer.(Rod goes inside,hammer on outside) This would not hurt the finish on a beer can so it might also work good on a real bad looking hub cap. I have not done this in years but it should work.

Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration