Got the first magazine today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Got the first magazine today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

Well,I joined the ranks of some of you all about a month ago when I sent in my money order to join the MTFCA .I got my first magazine this morning.
I couldnt help but notice getting a feeling that maby now I can peep out from under the porch and at least watch the big dogs go by in this hobby now!
:>)
I might even get to run with them someday!:>0

Seriously though,It is a neat magazine and I look forward to getting each 1.
Bruce appeared to be a bit young in that 1 photo.What the heck kind of a type writer is that he is useing in the photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:52 am:

I was a lot younger when that photo was taken. I was using a Varityper for the text of the magazine at that time and we splurged on a new IBM Composer in 1972 to replace it. (The Composer was an elaborate typewriter somewhat like a Selectric but with which you could type out columns with even right and left margins, and had a much nicer type style that the Varityper. I used it until the advent of computer typesetting in the early 1980's.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:36 am:

Ok, what did I miss. . . Varityper photo? Where?
I got my start on a CompuEditor, went down to a IBM Mag Card Composer, then to a CompJr. It was all uphill from there. . . and look where we are today - QuarkXpress, InDesign, Photoshop, etc. . .

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:44 am:

I got my magazine yesterday too. What a thrill to see my TT in the magazine for the first time! Even though you can just barely see the outline of the C Cab on page 30 in the lineup next to the Mustang. I'm also in the group photo. Maybe if I keep working I'll get on the cover somehow? That would be something!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:50 am:

Bruce on page 12 of the Jan-Feb issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:54 am:

How long ago were those dropped in the mail?

(As Kathy searches all places that David may have stashed a magazine. . . )

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:26 pm:

Mack, you're gonna love it! Many perks to club membership!

I got my Model T Times yesterday (MTFCI), went straight to the classifieds, made a call and bought a coil box and coils from a fella last night. Just like with the Buick Bugle, there are always some good deals with fellow members!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

Ray, What model Buick do you have? Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

Mine came Friday Kathy. Maybe the mail man is still reading yours :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

Hey come on folks!! Mine hasn't arrived yet! probably won't for another week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:31 pm:

I got mine earlier in the week (about Wed. or Thurs.). I called in response to a classified ad, and the parts were sold. The seller said he'd been getting calls for a week or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:31 pm:

That is what is so depressing. I usually get mine two weeks after someone posts here that they'd received theirs. bummer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:47 pm:

The Tarheel T's sends out a newsletter each month.It is neat and my dad enjoys reading it.
But several came in the mail that had been opened before they got here!
I dont reckon any harm was done though.

I have a friend that retired from the postal service.He said it was "standard procedure" when a Playboy , Popular Mechanics or other intresting magazine came through,it would "get caught" in the machinery.
Actually it was read over by everyone for a week or 2 and then some how wound back up on the conveyor and on to it's subscriber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 07:11 pm:

No magazine at my house........... just a letter/re-newal notice that membership expired in December !!! Even the re-newal notices take time to get lost in the mail ?? Will be looking forward to the new issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Our came in the mail today, looks like another great issue, I'm off to go check it out.

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:37 am:

Nelson, I've got a 57 Special Model 48 and a loaded 64 Wildcat Sport Coupe with the optional Super Wildcat 465 (425 w/2x4). I was a tech advisor for the BCA for some years but I quit the club after I got sick of the Chevy engines in vintage Buicks on the cover of the Bugle. Not only putting Chevies on the cover, but not having the balls to call it a Chevy but rather refer to it as a "corporate engine." Sounds like they are a little embarassed maybe? To me, the Nailhead is the soul of a 53-66 Buick and the 8-in-a-row prior, and there's no reason whatsoever to put a 350 Chevy in ANY Buick. It's not a Buick anymore.

Anyway, I'll put up my soapbox. I did a lot of metalwork on early Buicks and reproduced some hard to find parts for awhile, but I'm too busy T'n now to do much with them:-)
Rob Heyen has a very nice early Buick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:39 am:

Mike, you weren't calling the fella with the coil box and coils, were you? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:43 am:

Nope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:10 pm:

Ray: I had a 55 Ford that I put a 56 Buick Century motor in. I bought an aluminum adaptor bell housing so I could use the Ford transmission and I had to get an 11 in. Thunderbird clutch and pressure plate to hold it. It was a fun car. Sure surprised a lot of 57 Chevys.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

Jim, that 56 322 was one of the bad boys for its time. The 56 Century was a bit like the 54 Wildcat II and the later GNX, it could smoke a Chevy and caused some uproar in GM. The 56 was tested by several magazines that year and all found it to be the "fastest American-made production sedan". Easy to see why that engine in a lighter body could be a thrill.

During the concept car craze in 53-54, Buick built the Wildcat II while the other GM divisions were hard at work on their own concepts. It has a 322 with tri-power and would easily leave a puny 6-cylinder Corvette in its wake. The GNX of the 80's also was by far the fastest in the GM lineup, Chevy cried foul and that program was axed even though that car actually made it into production or a short time. Now you know why I hate corporate politics and care little for anything wearing a bowtie:-)

Didn't mean to hijack the post. The Wildcat II is in the Sloan Museum in Flint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:10 pm:

This car looks like one really mean and agry Catfish!
However, my folks drove a '54 Buick Special. Nice car.
My dad bought a new 1939 Buick straight eight that ran great for a while, then begin to get hard to start and sluggish on the hills. He finally took the head off and found that there were no rings on the pistons.
He honed the walls, put rings on and did a valve job and it became a great car.
Must have been a Monday or Friday car. Built after 5 p.m. on Friday as the engine guy was ready to leave.
"Hey, Bob! You don't mind knocking out ten more engines for us, DO YOU?"
"Naw, not at all. I'll give you 15."
"Now, that's the GM spirit, Bob."

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger A. Price on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:36 pm:

I remember seeing the '54 Wildcat at the GM Motorama, which was at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. I could never understand why Buick didn't come out with that car as is. It's still beautiful.
Rog

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration