Early Coupe Questions Again....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Early Coupe Questions Again....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:17 am:

A few more questions re: my early '23 coupe if anyone has the patience to answer them.
How does your dash attach to your cowl; does the cowl lip over the top of the dash? I have nail holes along the top of the cowl lip but none corresponding in the metal in the top of the dash.
Does the dash board/instument panel attach anywhere other than to the pillar support pieces?
How does the latch pillar post connect with the roof rail and windshield header. I think I kow but mine is totally rotted out in this area.
Pictures would be great if your car's dismanteled enough. Thanks in advance.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:41 pm:

Tyler: I have an early 23 coupe in various stages of re-wooding. I will check tomorrow morning and let you know. The cowl fits over a piece that goes between the front door posts and the dash wood mounts to two pieces that are screwed to the door posts, but I don't remember how the metal dash fits on the wood without looking at it in daylight.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 01:40 pm:

Tyler: My cowl has a 3/8ths lip turned down so it locks on the support going between the door posts. It also has nail holes in it to help hold it in place. The dash board fits up in a grove in the bottom of the cowl support and there is a piece of 1&1/8 in. of metal strap with a ridge on the back of it and a grove in the front that screws on to the top of the cowl support. The metal dash cover fits up in the grove on this piece and the bottom lip of it has holes in it to screw in to the bottom of the dash board. This is probably about as clear as mud, but I hope it helps some.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:48 pm:

Hi James and thanks again for coming to my aid.
I think I understand most of what you're saying except for the 1-1/8 metal strap. I don't think I have this piece. Is it one piece that goes from side to side or are there two of them, one on each side? Thanks again for the info.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 02:03 am:

Tyler: It goes from side to side and would be at the bottom of the windshield. The top of the dash slides up in a slot on this piece so there are no screws showing and with the the screws in the 3/4 in lip at the bottom of the dash it is locked in place. Sure wish I had a camera and knew how to post the pictures.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 03:29 am:

Tyler;
I will take a few photos on Wed. and post them. (OK mine is a 21 but should be much the same)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:49 am:

Photos would definately help. Hope I'm not missing this piece as I don't imagine it would be an easy one to come across.
I purchased the top wood for the car and am trying to figure out how the latch pillar attaches to the top rail. The top rail has areas inlet for the other two posts but none for the latch pillar(latch pillar being the one that attaches to the cowl.) I need to know how the latch pillar, windshield header and top rail all fit together. I think I know but don't want to do it wrong and screw up something else down the line. I can't see this stuff on a car that's together. Thank you both again.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

All photos, taken passenger side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:44 pm:

Tyler and Mark, On my car the piece on the top in pic two that has all the screws in it has a lip at the top that the dash panel slips up in and hides all the screws. That piece on mine has fifteen holes in it for screws. In pic one it looks the same as mine.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

Uh-oh. I have nothing that resembles the top piece with all the screws in it.James,does yours overlap the top of the cowl? Would this piece be used in a sedan also? Hope I can find one.
Mark, thanks again for your very informative photos. Is that windshield header just a square piece or does it have a stop for the windsheild? Anything on the side facing foreward? Looks to me like the front roof rail is just a flush fit to the front of the header and screwed in from behind. Again, I thank you both.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:40 pm:

Tyler, The cowl is nailed across and the top piece is mounted flush with the top of the cowl and covers the nails. I think there is a space in between the two for the bottom windshield frame to set in so it won't blow back. As I recall you have to loosen a knob on each side of the bottom glass and lift it a little to tilt it.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:56 am:

Thanks again James. More questions to follow.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:04 pm:

Tyler, I told you wrong on the cowl and the strip being flush. the strip with all the holes in it has a ridge that runs the length (39 1/4") of it. That ridge is what is flush with the top of the cowl. This leaves about 3/8" of the strip above the cowl. The turned down lip on the back and the ridge on the front of the strip make it about 3/8" thick at that point. Where all the screw holes are is less than 1/8"thick and the part that is above the cowl is less than 1/16". I hope all that wrong information didn't cause you any problems.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:58 pm:

No problem Jim. Won't be able to work on the car again until Sun.
So this piece is 1-1/8" wide and sticks up 3/8" above the cowl. Does the lip on the back overlap the top of the cowl?.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:34 pm:

Tyler, if you look at the end of this piece it looks like a cross. The ridge on the front sticks out about 5/32" and just goes again the inside of the top of the cowl and not over it. The lip on the back also sticks out 5/32" and turns down about 3/16" with a 1/16" gap in it and this is where the top of the metal dash slips up in it about 1/8". when the screws are put in the bottom of the dash it holds it in place without any screws showing. Front being toward the front of the car. I've just got to get a camera!!
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:25 am:

Thanks James. Mark G. is going to email me some pictures. I'm going to check my local sources to see if I can find this part. Got a brother that works in a metal shop that can reproduce about anything. From your descriptions I understand what the part does and how it's attached so if nothing else I could draw up some plans and have something made that will work. Thanks again for all your help.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H. Daw on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:48 pm:

Tyler and Mark: My early 23 isn't quite like that. On mine the piece that has the one screw in it fits up in a tab above the screws in the top piece so no screws show on the dash.
I borrowed a camera last Saturday and took some pictures. I don't know how to post them, but I could email them if you would like and if I had your email address.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

Thanks again Mark. Does the bottom windshield butt up against the lip that sticks up above the cowl? Does anyone know where I could find this silly piece and what it would be called? Sure would be a lot easier than making one.
James, clicking on my name should give you my e-mail ad. or sheila_searle@hotmail.com. The more pictures the better. Thank you both once again.
Tyler

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration