Generator oil slinger location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Generator oil slinger location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william deering on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 01:12 pm:

Hi All:
I am working on the generator and have run into a conflict between the Service manual and the MTFCA Electrical System mmanual.
The Service manual says the oil slinger washer should be installed next to the large bearing But the MTFCA manual says it is installed between the gear and the front plate.

Which is correct??
TIA,
Bill Deering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

It goes between the bearing and gear with the open end toward the gear. The "housing" that's mentioned is the front housing of the generator not the cam cover.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william deering on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

Ken:
Thanks a lot. I can now go back to work!
Bill D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

If you're putting in sealed bearings you don't need the slinger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william deering on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:28 pm:

Ken T:
Thanks! That is good to know.
Bill D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 04:38 pm:

Well, I'd like to disagree with that. Without the slinger, the bearing gets a constant bath of oil. Sounds good at first but the seals are meant to keep the grease in and DIRT out. They don't seal tight enough to keep oil out. Dirty oil, I might add. A constant bath of oil could wash the grease out of the bearings and allow oil to weep into the generator. That's the same reason the oiler isn't necessary on the rear of the generator when converted to bearings. It's installed for looks but shouldn't be used to oil the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

I agree with Ken K.
I think best practice is to always install an oil slinger and block the oiler so it cannot be used when rebuilding a generator with sealed or shielded bearings.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:42 am:

I've run a T for several years w/sealed bearings and no slinger and have had no problem w/oil washing through the bearing and into the generator.
As the saying goes "Your mileage may vary".

Last time I looked none of the vendors listed the slinger in their catalogues.

Ken T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:50 pm:

Ken
Reproduction oil slingers are not being made or sold by any of the Model T parts supplier. Every once in a while you will find some NOS ones at swap meets.
Ron the Coilman

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration