Cracked cylinder head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Cracked cylinder head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Lawrence on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

My 27 Fordor has a hairline crack in the head. Im losing coolant, but not much, just enough to mess up my freshly painted engine. Is there any way to seal up the crack (bars leaks stuff or black pepper) or do I need to just replace the head? My car is a really nice car, but it is a DRIVER, so I do not want to go overboard, at the same time I dont want to ruin my radiator with a quick fix. I just got this thing running on mag, pretty happy about that, any help would be appreciated. By the way, I dont think any coolant is going into the combustion chamber. Thank you, REALLY GREAT FORUM

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

I have used Alumaseal with great success on 2 cracks in the block of my TT's engine.Since I installed a second hand straight tube radiator and put another bottle in it,I have no leaks and the engine does not run hot.The first bottle helped tremendously with the leaky radiator.
I also put some in the recent project because of a poorly repaired block crack came along to try to spoil the day.

With that being said,If you take a notion to do a valve job in the near future on your engine,Heads are avaliable reasonabley and replacement at that time would be the best cure.No worrys then.A cracked head is easy delt with by bolt on replacement.

Somewhere out there is a repair tutorial on soldering block cracks.You might lower the water level,v out the crack,and solder that scoundrel up and never see it again.

You could run plain water 1 summer and then drain it and leave the hoses off over the winter and let the crack rust shut!:>)Aint the best idea but rust will stop the leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:17 am:

Brian, I suggest replacing the head. The high head is not expensive and easly found at an old car swap meet or at one of your buddies stashs. Do not buy one on E-bay....folks there go nuts on prices. In my option, shipping alone is more than a high head is worth. Also, you can mill off a bunch on a high head for added compression. You can high ball it and buy a Z head....folks seem to be happy with the power increase on hills with the Z head. You have lot's of options! "Les"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration