Warford tt trans and car trans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Warford tt trans and car trans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene magmuson on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:14 pm:

is there warford for a model t car and one for a tt ????? or are they the same transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:

There are several models of Warford's. As I recall, the only one that I know of that is made specifically for a truck is a cast iron one with a cover on the side that can unbolt for a PTO. I am sure that the gear ratio differs slightly too between models. I have an aluminum cased one that I plan on putting into my roadster that has the typical OD, UD, and straight through. I am sure that many more knowledgeable members will chime in. My question is do ALL of them whine like a cat in heat when in overdrive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

David; And in under-drive. I have two C-Cabs and both have Aluminum Warfords.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene magmuson on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:20 pm:

just wondering they is on on tbay needed to know if it would work on my 27 roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:26 pm:

The Warford's straight-cut gears will whine a bit no matter what you do. The new Layne Warfords have modern gears and they run quietly. But where's the romance in that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:23 am:

Gene, the one on ebay has the side plate for a PTO. It is also cast iron one that requires a support channel to be built for it because of the added weight. I would keep an eye out for an aluminum cased one. They are plentiful, and a better match for you. They are significantly lighter, and you won't have any problems with the weight hanging off the back of your engine because you have the improved transmission cover that bolts to the back of your engine creating a much more rigid mount between the engine and the factory transmission. I purchased a rebuilt aluminum cased Warford on Ebay about 2 years ago for about $400. I just haven't installed it yet...... sees like I have too many projects going.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 01:05 am:

The first Warfords were aluminum and did not use a mount.
The second series were cast iron, had a U-joint in front and required a mount.
Either and both would fit either a car or TT.
They were geared the same with the TT in mind, that's why they had such a fast O.D. ratio.
The two speed was probably meant more for the cars, there was an overdrive and an underdrive.
I have heard they were the same box and gears but one had everything in backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:30 am:

Aaron; The ratios are slightly different between the cast iron and the aluminum Warford. The input and output shaft bearings as well as the center bearing are different also.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Hall on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:51 am:

The Warford I have on my Depot Hack chassis is like the small (only underdrive) aluminum one, except the case is cast iron. It was installed on the original hack chassis (not the same chassis as the one I have) with no support bracket, and no universal or spacer fitting in front. I do plan to make a support for it. Since I have not gotten the engine back into my chassis yet (waiting for warmer weather) I can't report on the degree of whine. I do understand (and sincerely hope) that the small ones are easier to shift.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration