Z HEAD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Z HEAD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Davis on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

I am getting ready to order a high compression
head for my 26. Has anyone ordered one from
Harlon Zajicek, that advertises in "The Vintage
Ford"? What is the difference in his heads verses
anyone elses? Any help would be thankful.
Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Ferguson on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 04:31 pm:

Ed
I recieved one from Harlon and excellent service. I am in the process of installing it now. Looking forward to the extra HP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:17 pm:

Ed,

I bought directly from Harlon, Great service, less money, great support. Have run the head for about 5 hours now and love the improvement.

I would highly reccomend both the head and Harlon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Davis on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:40 pm:

Thanks guys.
I'll put the check in the mail.
Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 07:23 pm:

Greetings Ed, I tried to order one from Harlon but couldn't seem to get a hold of him. I ended up ordering one from one of the main suppliers and they matched his price of $310.00 plus 15.00 shipping. It saved me about $50.00....... it never hurts to ask a supplier to price match their competitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

I likewise bought from Harlon. I agree with the great service and support. His head is the best thing you can do to make an easy driving T.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

Ed -- Check out research on the Z head and others done by the Tulsa Club's members.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=mtfctulsa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

Well I thought that link would take you directly to the page about heads. I just tried it and got the Tulsa club's home page. From there, click on "Technical", then "Accessory Heads".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Campbell on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:10 am:

Just received my Z head from Harlon last week. Sent him a check and I had it no time. Pulled the original head and this afternoon I'll be putting the Z on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kliment on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:50 pm:

I noticed on the Tulsa website they said the "Z" head looks like the original except for the "Z". Does the Harlon head included the Ford script and Made in USA on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Campbell on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:26 am:

Yes it does. It also has Z at the water outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:11 am:

Many originals have the Z also. The main difference (other than performance) from an original is that a magnet won't stick once you paint it black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:19 am:

Mine may have well been an anomaly, but the interior surfaces were rough as from the mold/casting. This should have been polished out before installation, but the man who installed it for me failed to do so, and only told me about it after the fact. Sometime in my lifetime I will remove it and do that. I have zero complaints about the head per se, it made a significant difference for the better in performance, and I like the sound ! I would really look at the head when you get it though and see if it needs to be polished out, I do know that a head will collect carbon in this area if left rough, this comes from a long line of flat head Ford V-8's way back when. Just my .02, your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Davis on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:46 pm:

Want to say thanks for all the input.
I put a check in the mail to Harlon.
Looking forward to getting the head.
I'll check the interior over.
Planning on using copper gasket?
Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Davis on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:32 am:

Got the head yesterday. Fast service, no problems.
I do have a couple of questions.
The interior finish is not polished, finish is
as cast. What is the opinion should I polish
this out? Will I get better performance? Is there a chance of screwing something up? One other
question Snyders sells what they call a "Head Saver" is this worth buying, does it work?
Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

Ed,
I run a Z head on my 22 and my 26. Both engines use aluminum pistons of two different brands.

There was .035 clearance on the 22, the head was polished up and has ran great for several years.

When I checked the squish clearance around the piston on the 26 it was inadequate. A router was used to increase the clearance to .035 with the gasket on. It took about .060 on one and four and about half that on two and three. A four inch paddle sander polished up the machine marks quickly.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration