Sold for scrap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Sold for scrap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:59 pm:

I was at the junk yard Friday just before closeing and someone had brought in a steal firewall with a collom and the mounting brackets. A 26-7 rearend with one shoe and the drieshaft and tube,a seperate tube and shaft with a U joint. Went back Monday and found 26 rear coupe fenders in good paint, trans parts and a pre 26 hogs head with peddels, springs& nuts. A timeing cover and gen mount, main caps 3 iorn pistons with rods and caps and more. This stuff was not rusty other than it had rained over the weekend. Sadly one of the fenders got tore up at the yard but the rest of the stuff is in good shape. I'm 58 and this gave me the same feeling I had at 13, when I was hunting and saw my first parts of a T in a gully in west Texas. If someone had this stuff stolen please let me know and I will return all I could find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 03:15 am:

Contact the Police! But save it first if you can. I would think that even the scrap yard would agree! This is not the normal thing that anyone would through out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:32 am:

You did buy the stuff, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:52 am:

Somebody is building a street rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:59 am:

Or someone who couldn't give a hoot is cleaning out a deceased relative's collection of parts. If this is truly a junk yard there is hope for redemption.

Up here, the scrap yard won't sell parts that have been sold to them to interested parties. I suppose they're afraid they'll have too many of us standing around outside their gates on Saturdays watching for this stuff. They just toss it in the crusher or shredder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:03 am:

Yes, I bought everything I could find, spent almost 4 hours digging down through a pile of iron. They seperate long from short and tin, as best they can, when they unload. The axle, tube and collom were waiting to be cut, the good fender was on top of the tin pile,the rest was down in the short iron pile. They charge me 15 cents a pound. I'm out there alot and have found T& A parts before, but it is stuff that has been in the weather and rusted. I have lived here sence '70 and thought I knew of most of the old cars. To me it looks like a project someone gave up on, but who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 01:11 pm:

You were lucky to be able to buy it from them. Most yards here don't want the hassle and risk of people scavanging. They think that's how the stuff got there in the first place.

It was great when I was a teenager in Arizona scrounging for parts for my model A's but not more. At least not in the Muddle West.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 01:44 pm:

Yikes!! Maybe some poor chap has been out of town and his wife is cleaning out his shop for him??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:12 pm:

Good find

I remember finding the better part of a grahamn brothers truck in a scrap pile. I saw the remnants of a wooden spoked wheel and dashed up the side of the pile to see what it was. Unfortunately the yard was closing and they couldn't help me get the parts out, so by the time I got back a week later the parts were on their way to china.

On a sad note when I mentioned to the yard owner that he had parts of a Grahamn Brother's truck, he said he knew, it came in whole. Since then the owner has put every old car part aside just incase it is something he or someone else can use. There still are great yards left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:51 pm:

i've seen locally that buyers are not willing to match the scrap price for rough cars and the owners are selling to scrap because no one will step up and match the price. Most of the "interesting" cars that I've seen go through the local recycler are, at best, "basketcases". I've bought several myself after they got to the recycler. $150-165 per ton is cheap for any pre-war car stuff as far as I'm concerned, but many folks foolishly think that the stuff is still sitting all over the country and can be had for 1965 prices.

Biggest problem I find is that a lot of the folks that own this stuff don't know how to sell it and after maybe spreading the word in their little circle or a small unanswered ad in the local paper, they assume no one wants it and take it to the scrapper. There are also those who don't want anyone else to have it, and take it to the scrapper with specific instructions it gets destroyed.

As far as someone building a street rod, we who do build them are all too familiar with the process of searching for parts and the prices, so we are not generally stupid enough to throw away potential trading stock. Car guys don't (as a general rule) throw away old car parts, or at least not any I know. Most of the fellas I know keep stuff that is well beyond using, but can't bear to pitch it for the simple fact it is from a very old car. Sure, there is the occasional moron who will just pitch it to get it out of the way, but most won't.

Ah, but then there are those who will ask $1000 for a pile of parts and won't budge on the price, then if there are no takers they'll sell it for $50 to the scrapper. Seen it even on Ebay, listing states that this is the final listing or it goes to the scrapper, but the start bid or reserve is twice what the vehicle will bring for scrap. Those are the fellas that I have no use for, and would be the suspected party involved in the disposal of the parts that were originally the subject of this thread.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:34 pm:

Ray,

In regards to bad sellers, last fall my Dad went to the Englishtown swapmeet. Unfortunately I couldn't go this year. At some point during the day he called me to say there was a seller that was smashing his inventory at the end of the day. Rather than either keeping it or passing it along at a fair price (or free as is often done) he was beating his parts with a hammer. He destroyed some Muncie cases, bell housings, drive shafts, and some other things.

People like that shouldn't bother partaking in the hobby because they are more interested in the profits than the cars.

People often junk cars when they have no idea what to do with them. Unfortunately most of them are 4-door mopars from the early fifties and the scrappers can't even do much with them. A scrapper near my school has begun placing all of the old cars in one area until they are picked clean. They are almost up to about ten old cars set aside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:19 am:

Ray, I know a streetrodder here that afew years ago was doing a solid 30 buick, was going to burn a new wood kit that came with the car, luckily some one came along and got it.I've got several items from his throw aways over the years. this guy almost seems to be on a mission to destroy stuff. told me I was crazy to restore my 24 and drive it, that it was junk! Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:00 am:

Keith, that's really sad. I can assure you most aren't like that, and many even appreciate restorers if for no other reason than they offer an outlet for unused parts. I bet he was one of those idiots that pitched the drivetrain as well so he could throw in a crate 350 like so many other boneheads that can't believe anybody other than Chevy made a V8? Beautiful car, then ruin it with an everyday run of the mill mediocre engine...definitely an embarassment to the hobby.

Richard, that guy is just a fool. Smashed it up? That's the guy that needs to be horsewhipped and dragged! You're right, a lot folks don't know what to do with it and think that there is probably not much value or interest in a lot of old cars, and with scrap getting higher and "junk" is many times just too costly to buy it unless you actually need it. Putting that "needer" in touch with that "want to get rid of'er" is a lot of times near immpossible.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:48 am:

Used to be an old scrap man south of the Twin Cities, MN. That took great delight in outbidding antique car and tractor people for old brass carburetors, headlights, sidelights, etc. While people stood around him holding out twice the dough he'd paid for a part (funny, they never seemed to keep bidding), he'd just grin, pull a 2 lb. hammer out and smash the stuff right in front of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

Warren, there is a similar fella here that finds some kind of perverted enjoyment in showing up at any auction with a pocketful of cash to outbid anyone for the vintage cars. if there is a pre-war car or truck there (unrestored), he'll pay an insane price for it, then take it to his farm and park it in the field. He was forced several years ago to dispose of a field full of cars, so he had them all crushed. Since then, he has spent a lot of time and money to fill up that field again. He don't restore them or sell parts, and he'll price them if you ask but as far as I know has never sold one vehicle. I asked once about a 30 A pickup and he asked $5000 for it. This was a truck that had definitely spent it's years quietly rusting away in a fencerow that he had bought at auction for $600 (that's all it was worth. IT had been in the weather with no hood or cylinder head, sheetmetal nearly gone, and even subrails rusted too thin to use for anything but patterns.

I went to an auction a couple years ago where there were two "barn-fresh" T coupes, and when I saw he was there I left. he bought them well worth the money along with a couple vintage tractors, then also bought the <2 acres of property. The cars and tractors are still there where they sat the day of the auction, and the property hasn't been touched as far as I know. Just left to grow up.

This man is in his 80's, and I just hope he is gone before the cars are! He's just downright mean, don't want anyone to have anything if he can use his money to keep us from it. When I bought my 24 T roadster over the phone, he tried to pay the seller before I arrived and buy it out from under me. When I pulled up with the trailer, he was still there haggling to buy the car, and left disgusted when I handed the money to the seller. I can honestly say he is one man I have no respect for, not even the respect due to a person for just being human.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:25 pm:

Ray
Could you send me an e-mail? I would like to meet you sometime. Here in Benton some of us old car folks get together every Sat. for breakfast at the Shadetree Restaurant at 7:00 A.M.
Leon in Benton, Ky ford1914@bellsouth.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:51 am:

Hey Leon! I saw in a previous post that you are in Benton and tried once to contact you. I just figured I was out of bounds when I got no reply. I guess it just slipped through. Emailed you, and hope we can get together soon. You're the closest forum member to me on the map so far!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:28 am:

Most people would like to think that, in their allotted time on this earth, they make a difference. That they leave this world a better place for their having been here. The examples sited of the mean, bitter old men that take a perverse pleasure in hurting people by intentionally destroying irreplaceable items, just to deny others the happiness those items might bring, are sad indeed. What could have possibly occurred in their lives to cause such anger and inability to tolerate happiness in others?

They make a difference for having been here, but instead of making this world a better place, they leave it worse off, which is another way of saying, the world would have been a better place had they never been born. What a legacy. Those men and men like them should be pittied. Jim

PS. On second thought, they are not worthy to be called men. Change "men" to vermin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:28 am:

Most people would like to think that, in their allotted time on this earth, they make a difference. That they leave this world a better place for their having been here. The examples sited of the mean, bitter old men that take a perverse pleasure in hurting people by intentionally destroying irreplaceable items, just to deny others the happiness those items might bring, are sad indeed. What could have possibly occurred in their lives to cause such anger and inability to tolerate happiness in others?

They make a difference for having been here, but instead of making this world a better place, they leave it worse off, which is another way of saying, the world would have been a better place had they never been born. What a legacy. Those men and men like them should be pittied.

Jim

PS. On second thought, they are not worthy to be called men. Change "men" to vermin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:40 am:

Well said, Jim...well said!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration