Safety Wire Routing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Safety Wire Routing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph L. Teaford on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:58 am:

My son was a crew chief on B52 bombers, and he tried to tell me how to wire the U joint ball and wish bone ball clamp bolts. But I am a visual old man and need a picture, badly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ralph Teaford A 27 T in the 40's but a 24 T now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:13 am:

image/bmp1
WIRING nuts.bmp (94.0 k)

Like that Ralph.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:14 am:

Ralph, My dad is an old American Airlines Mechanic - he used what he calls duck bill pliers, and twists the wire as he goes. I need to take a good photo of his method - it is very neat and clean and effective when you are finished, I think he actually got the method from the Navy - he was a Navy mechanic. Was your son twisting the wire as he went??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:10 am:

The wire should always be trying to pull the fastener towards "tightening".
If it is trying to pull towards "loosening", The fastener may come loose, but can only turn a limited amount.
On the U joint ball and wish bone ball clamp bolts the wire should go in a figure 8 configutation.
Make sense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:20 pm:

In the Marines, I my MOS was 6125. T-400 jet engine mechanic for the UH-1N Huey Helicopter. As has been established, safety wiring is very important, especially in aircraft maintenance. Attached is a crude sketch of how we safety wired both bolt heads and castle nuts. Notice how the route of the wire always ensures that the taught wires are pulling in the clockwise direction, so that they are pulling the bolt tighter, not looser. This is the simple method. There are other, more complicated methods, such as doubling the wires and alternating them through every other bolt head (since only one wire will pass through the hole at a time) while twisting the double wires tightly between the bolts. This method was reserved for lock-wiring components inside the jet engines. For twisting the wires, we used a special set of "wire twister pliers" that are available from www.mcmaster.com, that would uniformly twist and tighten the ends of the wires as you pulled on the knobbed corkscrew shaft in the handle of the pliers. Jim

Safety wire bolt heads and castle nuts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 04:36 pm:

Here is another crude drawing of the more complicated but stronger safety wire method, whereby you twist the wire between each bolt. Jimsafety wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:24 pm:

Heres another drawing from a spec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:06 pm:

The above alternate double twist method in the lower left is the way my Dad does it - He was the AA mechanic - not limited to Jets, he started with Convairs and went thru the 707 period. Brings to mind another post about tool names.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:31 pm:

The four U joint collar bolts need to be safety wired??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:14 am:

George, the top 2 use cotter pins through the nuts, the bottom 2 use safety wire through the drilled bolt heads.

Jim p., thanks for supplying the (first) sketch, that's what I was trying to explain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:27 am:

Kenneth... and a very good explanation you gave. I'm sure Ralph understood without my sketch, but since he asked for one, I figured I'd send it anyway. As they say, "a crude sketch is worth a hundred words (at least)". Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:10 pm:

As one T400 mechanic to another might I add that when all the H46's, H53's, and H60's ect are sent to the boneyard they will ferry the crews out with Hueys! That machine is the model T of the rotary wing world. It can practially be maintained with a grease gun, clean rag and a cresent wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:28 pm:

Not to mention budweiser beer can patches riveted over 7.62mm bullet holes. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:53 am:

Thanks Kenneth !! All these years I've been using 4 lock washers there. Most of my fun in Model T s is the upgrading opportunities that enable me to more closely approach originality. You can be sure I'll be for changing back to your suggestion.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration