I'm new to this "T" thing so please be patient. I am currently rebuilding a '22 coupe from the ground up and have a couple questions:
1)Can I convert the electrical system from a magneto/coil system to a distributor/generator system and remove the magnets,coil etc to save weight?
2)Where would I attach the generator?
3)Will it effect the value of the car?
4)Are there blueprints available for the wood top bows and roof?
5)Did '22 coupes have sunvisors or were they only on later models.
6)Did '22 coupes have interior rear view mirrors and side mirrors?
1. Yes but why remove the magenets? Any improvement in performance from removing them would be negligable.
2. Ford a generator on your car as standard original equipment. It should already have one. It bolts on to the engine on the passenger side at the front.
3. Yes, adding a distributor and removing the magnets will hurt the value because a complete engine disassembly would be required to return the car to its original condition.
4. Not that I know of
Your distributor question is touchy. I run a distributor but coils work fine just as a true fire. What ever you do the weight of the magnets helps the flywheel inertia on driving with a full body car. I tried removing the magnets and my impression was the car was less fun to drive.
To much RPM, and low gear band slip was required from a stop to get moving especially with the weight of four people in the T or starting up a slight incline.
1. Yes, you can. But, if you're doing O.K. on mag and coils why mess with that? You don't have to remove the magnets and coil ring to try the distributor set-up. Doing so has several pros & cons. You're likely hear them all .
2. As stated, if you've got the correct year engine, or at least 1919 or newer, you should already have a generator or at least the place to put one.
3. Depends who's buying. Some people like, or at least don't mind, conversions. Other people hate them with a passion.
4 - 6. Don't for certain so can't say.
You would do best to buy a copy of the original Ford service manual from one of the suppliers. So many people ask questions that are easily answered in that book.
Meant to say;
4 - 6. Don't know for certain so, can't say.