Bid before it's too late

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Bid before it's too late
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Gaffrey on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:37 pm:

Check this out. ebay 190199033204

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:59 pm:

I'd bid, but I can't type that high!
Another hubby telling 'the wife' "that I just can't sell it", that's my guess.
rb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

Harmless ebay plug? :>)
I dont know what the reserve is but geez that is getting up there.

I just dont see that being brewster green either.Am I the only 1 that thinks so.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Harlamoff on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

Miscellaneous Ramblings: Ramblers are good cars. This one has a 5X5 inch engine and is the biggest one made. A friend who as the 5 passenger version of this car says his drives very well and compares favorably with his Packard model 30, 11 Pierce 38 etc. In fact he prefers the Rambler to drive. In spite of that, I have never been attracted to Ramblers for some reason. I could have bought that five passenger car six years ago for $70K. It was an impossible amount of money for me at that time.
These days, I am scrambling to pay for the restoration of my of 13 T runabout. Iím up to about $5K so far in parts and machining. I don't know what any of it means, however I'm pretty much convinced that these six figure prices for cars are not good for the hobby. My friend with the Rambler say that the hobbyists are dying out and disappearing. What is left is collectors. You can go to certain collections and see all of the non Ford cars that used to make up entire old car tours. You walk down the line and say: this is the Jennings car, this is the Smith car, I remember this as the Burns car etc, etc. They are well cared for and given proper restorations, but for the most part they just sit.
In my home town, young people who like old cars build ratrods or buy a Dodge Dart. In the last 30 years, there have been precisely three people now under 50 who have had the interest and wherewithal to buy a horseless carriage. My friend with a 11 Maxwell is the youngest member in our regional HCCA club at 35. I predict that within 15 years we will be the only two active members left. Our local region of the Model A club failed outright due to lack of interest about 15 years ago. One of the oldest regions of the HCCA, the Santa Clara region finally consolidated with the Bay Area region for lack of members. This was the club that put on the famous and very successful Blossom Tour for decades. (The other club is putting it on now.) For me to attend those meetings, I would have to drive two hours each way.
Still, the hobby persists. As my friend with the Rambler says, you go on a tour, you eat the same breakfast, stay in the same hotel, drive the same roads. Clearly you donít need a $600K car to have fun. This is what makes Fords so great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:00 am:

Very nice car and very nice price! Could be why young people are not getting in to the hobby. T's and somewhat A's are about what can be bought for a fair price and get parts allso.
By the way, with all that restoration, I think the burners in the headlighs are turned the wrong way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.M.Head on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 05:05 am:

I have bought hobby cars for as little as $3,000, and as much as $12,500. I have spent as much as $15,000 on a resto, and currently have a resto underway that is going to total $75,000. My next hobby car is going to be a "max $10,000" buy and fix cost car. I would love do stick with brass, but with the high prices for brass junk, even on ebay parts listings, who can afford it? Also, the less they are seen, the less interest younguns will have in 'em. At 45 yrs old, I should have 20+ good years of car fun left in me at least.....but I doubt in 2028 folks'll be running around getting excited about restoring c.2000 Toyota Camry's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:20 am:

Mark, I was looking at the burners and thought they were right. If you look at the car from the front and the burner looks like a 'Y' it's installed wrong. The arms of the 'Y' should face the front and rear of the lamp. Many a reflector has been cracked by a novice that installed the burners crosswise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:49 am:

I like that Rambler a lot but the apple green color is sorta loud and not authentic. The price seems contrived, there is some sort of game being played here.

I've seen big Pierces and Locomobiles and Thomas etc sell in this neighborhood but the big Rambler is more like a $200K car on a good day with two determined bidders. Just my opinion......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:30 am:

Beautiful Pea Green color, that, for some reason, reminds me of Linda Blair. I'll keep my Model T's, thank you. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:55 am:

Actually this is the proper color, Jeffries used it since the first one in 1901 & was used again in the early 50's when the Rambler was re-introduced. If you look at the photos the lighting changes the color from Anderson's pea soup to apple.

Want to see something strange I think there are one or 2 1909 Petrols left, original color was
Lavender.

Warren's right about the burners they should be fore & aft the flames hit each other spread it out, a lot of people think they should be left to right because it looks better (?) this sends the flame right into the mirror & cracks it.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:30 pm:

This is a very interesting auction for us, since Jacquie and I just got a 1910 Rambler Model Fifty-five for Christmas. It is a non-running car that needed three full days of assembly to just get it on a flat-bed truck to drive the 8 miles to my house. BUT, from 20 feet it looks great!

I love my Model Ts and As, but have always ogled those big 7-passenger brass cars and now we got one!

The car was originally purchased by Wilbur Abbott who ran the woolen mills in Milton, NH and I have tracked it's history up to our care-taking. It has been in New England most of it's life.

We have photos of the car coming out of the barn in 1958 and I have spent several hours with one of the Gentleman that pulled it out; it has been fun getting the history which I have written up in detail.

Somewhere there is reportedly a picture / story of the car with the Abbott Family out for a Sunday Drive and the Historical Societies are helping look for us.

Reportedly all of the sheet metal is original and maybe some of the body paint and rear fender paint is original. Most of the body and the front fenders were painted in 1959. The wood reportedly is original, except for the rear floor-boards and the wood in two wheels. The aluminum front floor-boards and running-boards are replacements.

We are working hard to get it in touring condition this year.

It has a 123" wheel base, a 6.4 liter engine, measures 92" tall with the top up and 195" long with the top down. Rambler claimed that 95% of all parts were made in their factories. Rambler was the first car to have a complete spare wheel with mounted tire. Rambler also claims that with the engine's "offset crankshaft", it can travel in high gear at walking speed; that should be interesting! The back seat area is large enough to dance in !

Here are a couple of snapshots in the 1910 Light Brewster Green:

AS RECEIVED

IN THE WORKS

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:35 pm:

Here is the spec sheet for the Rambler Model Fifty-five:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:40 pm:

Roland,

It is gorgeous!

Electric start to bring those 6.4 liters of displacement to life? (I hope so)

By "offset crank", do you mean that the crank centerline and cylinder bores are not in the same plane?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

Sorry, I guess I could have waited until: 1. your last post loaded and 2. I remembered that Cadillac was first with e-start in 1912.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:01 pm:

Hi Seth,

Yes, the crankshaft is offset to the cylinder bores so there is lots of torque available at zero RPM from top dead center.

The Gentleman that helped pull the Rambler out of the barn and was associated with it until 1990 installed a 24 volt starter. The car has automatic spark retarding when engaging the hand-crank and a compression release for 75% of the stroke, but it is still a very hard engine to crank by hand.

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:14 pm:

Thanks for your reply, Roland.

The added starter sounds like a grand idea for those, like you, that intend to use a car like that.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:31 pm:

That's one beautiful car Roland. The Rambler bay car looks weird to me with the undercarriage painted the same color seimgloss? Brewster Green. Is this the way they came new? Or did the restorers use green so people wouldn't confuse it with Model T being all black.

That is facinating about the "offset" crank. Some recent cars like the Toyota Echo have a "no lug" high torque configuation which is either a countershaft for the top end or a kind of offset crank. I guess people get tired of shifting a whing ding with five speeds.

Thanks for posting and hope you are rambling by Spring. Keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 03:07 pm:

The 1910 Ramblers were mostly Light Brewster Green; a couple Dark Brewster Green. I do not have a color chip for the Light, but do for the Dark. The Dark chip I have is very dark; a lot darker than the eBay 1911 Rambler. As far as I can tell, for 1911 almost everything was the same color. Here is the 1911 color spec for the smaller Model Sixty-three:

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:56 pm:

If that machine was here in the yard,I would be working into the wee hours of the morning trying to get that thing to chug back to life.wow ,what a ride.

I have bought some T parts from a fellow not far from here that has a couple Franklins and 2 Locomobiles.A Franklin roadster is a really big machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler Searle on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

"since Jacquie and I just got a 1910 Rambler Model Fifty-five for Christmas"
Sure beats the socks and underwear that I get for Christmas. Nice car.
Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Young Collector on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

I am 26 and I have parts for a Model T Ford, but to be honest anything with Ford on it unless its early and/or rare is gaining in expense to restore. I just bought a 1967 AMC with very low miles (original), with paperwork including services, every option for 67, and from the same family who owned the dealership (it passed from one to the other via will). I paid $500.00 for the car, and I drove it home I am restoring the car, because it needs a new fender because the family damaged it pulling it in a garage, but other than that, the body if flawless and the upolstry is almost perfect. Find a ford of almost any year with what it has, and in that great of condition for that great of a deal.

The problem is Fords, Chevys, and even Mopars are just getting way out of price for the younger people wanting to be in the hobby. If you want people in the hobby, bring the prices for the cars down for a while, and make them available to the people you want to recruit. You may have to help them at first but they will bring new life to the hobby. I am not saying that you should sell a Model T for 500.00, but I am saying that a temporary price cut will bring the younger guys/gals in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

Outstanding Royce! I take back my "I'll keep my Model T's, thank you" comment. I would LOVE to have one of those. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

Jim,

I think Roland is the one who has the correctly colored Light Brewster Green Rambler shown in the pictures. I'm droolin.

Notice how different the correct Light Brewster green color is on Roland's car from the apple green in the ebay auction.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:47 am:

Oops sorry, Royce. I meant Roland. Yes, I like the green color of Roland's much better. What a find! Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:07 am:

WOW....$755,005.00 wasn't enough to buy it. I am starting to think I might not ever own one of those now. lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:13 am:

Not only that, but there were four different bidders who bid more than $700,000.

A staggering amount for an automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:50 pm:

It's on the Horseless Carriage site.

http://www.hcca.org/sellit.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration