Beverly Hillbilly's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Beverly Hillbilly's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:07 pm:

Watching this morning, the episode with "cousin Roy". He pulled up in a 15/16? touring car. It had a black radiator shell on it, like the one on my website for sale. It's an odd looking thing, does anyone know who made it? I thought it was home made until I saw that TV show.

Photo on my website:
http://modeltengine.com/forsale/1915ModelTRoadster%20006.jpg

Owners website with more photos:
http://www.tomlaferriere.com/1915_Model_T_Roadster_for_sale.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

Tim,

I have 2 after market honeycomb radiators that have steel tanks. I would guess that they were painted.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:22 pm:

Paul, it's not just paint - it's a separate shell.

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/CarsForSale/1915ModelTRoadster/1915ModelTRoadster%2 0030.jpg
http://www.tomlaferriere.com/CarsForSale/1915ModelTRoadster/1915ModelTRoadster%2 0029.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:06 am:

Tim, I dunno about the shell, but I love his ALF and Buick speedsters!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:00 am:

Tim, it's an aftermarket radiator. By 1914 most car manufacturers had dropped the brass radiators in favor of black shelled units. Ford couldn't keep up with orders so kept making the brass radiator cars. It was not uncommon to "dress up" a brass car with a "modern" black aftermarket replacement to try and make it more stylish.

I'll keep an eye out for that Hillbillies episode. Been renting the DVDs in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:42 am:

The third car (looks like a '16 Couplet), has what looks like an aftermarket radiator shell & hood. Catalogs I've seen, including Sears & Wards have dozens.

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/collections/theaters/images/5824.jpg

This is in front of the Spreckles Theatre & Building on Broadway & 1st ave in Downtown San Diego about 1916 & is still a viable threatre for live theatre & concerts.

The cars are backed in because of the 9" curbs making cranking difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:37 pm:

Tim,
I've seen that car on the Hillbilies.
I've also seen two other T's on the show,one being an early runnabout,around 1910-11 made into a "fire-chief's" car.
It's my understanding that the "truck" they had was a 1922 Oldsmobile touring turned into a truck.
I often wondered why they never used a T.It certainly was a vehicle many people over the years can relate to and have fond memories of.
Possibly the use of the Oldsmobile meant it was a bigger,and easier car to manipulate into what the studio needed.Probably easier to teach Max Baer(Jethro) to drive too! :-)
One thing I've never seen on the show is this:Any intial start-up of an antique vehicle.They always seem just roll onto the set and come to a halt.
I wonder if that Oldsmobile is still around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:34 pm:

I read somewhere the Olds,is in a museum.I have read somewhere it was a Buick also but seems it changes often.
Jethro did rebuild the engine once.I remember him holding up some pistons and rods and saying he was done and that was all he had left!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:46 pm:

Well I stand,stumble,pass gas,and fall,corrected.It is a Olds.
I cant remember where it was that said it was a buick.
http://www.prewarbuick.com/features/jed_clampetts_buick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

Ive seen one but dunno made it,Gator gould would know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:06 am:

Second last paragraph here mentions the Foster Museum has it.

Regards,
Garnet

http://www.rfostermuseum.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:45 am:

Unbeknownst to most, Buick and Olds both actually made and marketed a truck before being acquired by Durant. Not a converted car, but an actual truck. The Hillbillies car was an Olds, and not like the truck they built so I imagine the story about the touring conversion is true.

Why not a T? Too slow, and Max was too tall! (just a guess) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:53 am:

well, ok...now that you read the Hillbillies' article posted above, it isn't unbeknownst to anyone on the T forum!

I stated that it doesn't look like the Olds truck, but I should have said it doesn't look like any that I've seen (I've only seen 3). Since I haven't seen everything or know everything, more than likely I am wrong :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:59 am:

I understand that the Clamppetts truck was donated to the School of the Ozarks outside Branson, Missouri by the creator Paul Henning.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:

I thought I heard at one time that the Olds was used because it was found in a used car lot already converted to a truck. All they had to do was add some of the household articles for the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

Found this after making the previous comment:

In the 1990s, a replica of the original 1921 truck was recreated for the Twentieth Century Fox movie remake The Beverly Hillbillies (1993). Like the original, the new replica was built by custom car designer George Barris, the creator of the Batmobile and the Munstermobile (who found the original Clampett truck in the back of an old feed store in Fontana, California).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By royce on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:00 pm:

Looks like you can buy the Beverly Hillbillies truck today!

http://www.amazon.com/AMT-Ertl-Beverly-Hillbillies-Model/dp/B0006GDUK0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:08 pm:

Here's a TT made to look like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck. Anybody know who it belongs to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTEpcVViWA&mode=related&search=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:21 pm:

FYI. The original Beverly Hillbilly's truck is in the museum at the Collage of the Ozarks in Branson Mo. It is an Olds and they are very proud of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:41 pm:

One thing, the Clampetts didn't own the truck, it was a loaner from Cousin Pearl Bodine, played by Bea Benaderet, who talked Jeb into moving to Beverly Hills, she loaned Jeb the car along with her son Jethro to drive it (probably glad to get rid of him). Cousin Roy was played by Roy Clark, the Country Western singer.

Here's a teaser, remember the last line of the parting credits song, it starts with a K.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:32 pm:

Kick your shoes off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:43 pm:

Kick your shoes off and set a spell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:52 pm:

Seth & Warren that's the second to the last, it's "K-E-Double-L-O-Double-Good Kelloggs best to You" not in reruns or the videos because Kelloggs would be paying for a commercial.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:55 pm:

Y'all come back now, hear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:21 pm:

Tim, you maybe right, can't remember if that came before or after the cereal selling.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:34 pm:

I'd like to see and hear Tim try to pronounce "y'all"............

I don't remember the Kellogg's thing, so I guess I didn't watch much. I guess I liked Petticoat Junction and Green Acres more!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:37 pm:

Not to get too overly technical here but.....
I always remember Elly-Mae saying:"This has been a filmways presentation",being the last thing.This of course was after all the credits and sponser's words had been said.
I think one of the girls(Laurie Saunders) off Petticoat Junction did the same thing for that show too,as well as Zsa Zsa on Green Acres.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:40 pm:

Eva Gabor, Zsa Zsa's sister. And she added "dahling"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:42 pm:

Here is some real trivia for you:

The "Beverly Hillbillies" was originally the name of a Los Angeles based country band/act led by Zeke Manners in the 1930s.

My awareness of this fact pre-dates the internet. However, for further info, Google "Zeke Manners".

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:55 pm:

Well I know my dad bought a cheap dvd of some episodes of the beverly hillbillies show and even the dang music is wrong.Alot of stuff aint right about them.
I shore didnt no about no ceral being advertised,
Dij yawl?
Here lately sometimes it gets down right offensive how the media and movies make so much money off people acting like southerners or talking like them.If you have to go to school to learn to talk like most of us southerners do all the time from when we were staining cotton diapers,then you dont need to be acting like it or fakeing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:59 pm:

Alex, I guess that explains why the one picture on the Buick site shows Elly and Granny both holding grocery sacks with Corn Flakes protruding? Hmm...learned something else from this thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:13 pm:

I agree Mack. A lot of Hollywood movies depict us as backward, stoopid, and inbred bloodthirsty animals. The movie "Wrong Turn" gives the impression that folks who live on dead-end dirt roads and have old cars in the yard will murder and eat young city cuties who are lost. Well, I wouldn't murder'em! :-)

By the way, thanks for posting the link, Royce! Just ordered two!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:05 pm:

Mack & Ray,

When I was still acting I had to play a Southern Judge, Director kept saying "Tune down the accent & stop sounding Like Senator Claghorn".

My Father in Law, who was from Falls Church Virginia used to make fun of the way we Californians talked, said we talked too fast.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:10 pm:

A mint julep or an old fashioned on a hot day down here in Dixie will slow that fast speech down in a bigtime hurry.

Seth :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:19 pm:

What the bleep is a mint julep?
Leave it to the T Club to teach me all kinds of stuff.Not to long ago I learned about Eggs Benidict.Sounds good,Aint been to a high class enough joint to git 1 though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:31 pm:

Mack, a couple sunny-side ups, some good ol' milk gravy, country sausage, and cathead biscuits beats that Yankee Benedict stuff hands down. When you lay over on your Chickasha trip, I'll ask the wife to do it up right!

Never had a mint julep, Seth. I don't like anything that even smells like mint. I have a couple friends that come around occasionally though, Senor Cuervo or Captain Morgan. Either one will calm that California accent down as well, Alex. Never invited at the same time though, as they can wreak havoc in the same room together :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:33 pm:

Ray. Stooopid. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there. Ray the cable guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

Well I must say the fellow that educated me on the Egg thing was from up somewhere north.Boston i think? Way up there somewhere anyhow.
I will be looking forward to a biscut and eggs,and sausage,long as the whites aint runny,I can eat em up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

well, Tim, I used to like "stew-pid" when used in the context as above, but for the past year or so I have migrated toward the "stoopid" spelling :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:08 pm:

Hey, Eggs Benedict are superb - especially at Brennan's on Royal in the New Orleans French Quarter.

Mint juleps use creme de menthe, but an old fashioned is mostly good old American whiskey (bourbon if from the Commonwealth of Kentucky). My Dad makes them and after two, oral surgery would be painless without anesthesia!

Where Tim comes from is some fine cooking as well. Plenty of high-cholesterol (tastes good) shellfish swimming in lots of butter and cream. Yum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

JUST FOR THE RECORD:
DOWN HERE IN DIXIE, GRAVY IS A BEVERAGE ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

Seth,

Best Eggs Benedict I ever had was at the Royal Crown in Laguna, Hollandaise was perfect, Caviar on top & perfect lamb chops on the side & dollar bottles of some of the best champaigne I've had.

But ain't nothing wrong with 2 eggs over easy, whole hog sausage, biscuits with gravy & maybe a couple of fried apple rings. Californian's maybe strange but where diverse, we're not all fruits & nuts.

The way I've always made Mint Julieps is to muddle several mint leaves with a teaspoon of sugar in the bottom of an 8 ounce tumbler, pack it with crushed ice & fill it to the top with JD.

Harvey, isn't Deep Fat also a main dish below the Mason Dixon line.

I can hear my arteries slamming shut just reading this stuff.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:15 pm:

I thought this was a thread about a car for sale in RI? Somebody buy it so I can take it off my website and put up something new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:22 pm:

You are right - spearmint kinda mashed, pickled in bourbon. A "minted" old fashioned.

Fried green tomatoes might sound good, but I'm not against trying fried apple rings.

The breakfast in England is to die for, literally. The fried toast, sausage links, ham, eggs, grilled tomato. Enough cholesterol in one meal to last you all week!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

Please accept my apology, Tim.
Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

Funny how the conversations drift to something nowhere near what it started! That's the fun of forums!

Alex, deep fat frying is still going strong! My maternal great-grandparents lived to their late 90's on a diet of all that is good in the south. Butter, whole milk, beans with a big hunk of pork fat for seasoning, lots of eggs and pork grease. I don't care what these self-proclaimed experts say, it ain't the food that kills ya. Its the preservatives, processing, and packaging, along with the enhanced feeding of the animals. If you ever saw a "real" egg, the "yellow" is orange and very heavy-bodied, rich-tasting, and won't break even if you drop it in the skillet while over-easying. A store-bought egg has a yellow yolk and will break if you look at it crooked, and has no taste that resembles a "real" egg. Pork and beef raised in concentration camps tastes nothing like free-range meat. A1 is for hiding the poor taste of a bad steak! Too many people eat margarine these days and all the other "healthy" food because the advertising media tells them it is better. They tell us that because they want to sell it!

Just think, we haven't even mentioned barbecue! Not talking about that nawthun stuff that is nothing more than a chopped-up pork roast swimming in tomato sauce. I'm talking the real stuff; a shoulder cooked with hardwood coals and smoke (no electric or gas heat) for 16-24 hours at about 200 degrees, that drips that grease off your elbows after it has soaked the bun! God, I'm glad I was born in the south if for no other reason than REAL barbecue! Keep your sauce...if the meat is done right (I inject molasses and salt) you don't need no sauce! A little poison sodium and some good ol' Hellman's mayo coleslaw and you'll swear you're in heaven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

Tim, mature minds tend to drift...mature minds tend to drift...
steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

Kentucky Ray:
Now you did it ? I'm ready for some of them eats!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:25 pm:

drifting,aint just for ricers any more.
Yea,we drifted off target,but we are haveing fun.And the car looks good that is for sale.I just cant afford a finished car.I have to buy them in buckets,boxes and piles!:>)

Hellmans in cole slaw? Ray,You are letting everyone know you are west of the hills, :>).It is DUKES maynaise on this side of the hill,with a touch of vinegar,a touch of mustard ,a little chopped onion and some Cayenee pepper dashed in it,hand choped,not grated.! :>)

Geez Barbecue.I aint but a good rocks throw from Lexington NC.You know,where all the Barbecue is supposed to be good.I am sorry,but I want to taste the meat,with a touch of cayenne heat from Franks Red hot and salt.Not swimming in some sauce.

I reckon I can load a few 6 packs of Cheerwine cola to take with me to Chickensaw.I have heard there are people that aint never had any of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:22 am:

How many names can the same brand of Mayo have, out here it's Best Foods, except for the name they all have the same label.

Mack, I have a good friend with a small Market here who actually carries Cheerwine. He also has Moxie, all the Nehi sodas & Dad's Old Fashioned Rootbeer (in the original style bottle). Now if he can find Cliquot Club Green River I'd be real happy.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:14 am:

Green River??? Egads, now you're dating yourself. I date myself quite often, but that's because I'm CHEAP! and I'm a cheap date! :-)
T'ake Care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:27 am:

Green River??? Egads, now you're dating yourself. I date myself quite often, but that's because I'm CHEAP! and I'm a cheap date! :-)
T'ake Care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Cullen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:46 am:

The five basic food groups:
1. Sugar
2. Caffeine
3. Nicotene
4. Alcohol
5. Pork Fat

Y'all make sure to eat healthy!

I still can't get my Pennsylvania farm girl wife to eat grits. Good stone ground yellow ones too.... Kinda surprising since she grew up on an Amish type farm in the Lancaster area. I don't think it's geographical. Country folks are country folks. It's kinda funny, there are more country folks and hillbillys in upstate NY (North of the Mowhawk River) than there are in areas generally thought to be more rural and bassackwards such as West Virginia. Most folks think that all of NY is pretty much the same as the city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 02:24 am:

What a great thread! Totally off-topic and no one (almost) got their fur rubbed the wrong way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 03:08 am:

Mike,
Ah Grits!!! MMMM, 'specially with honey or maple syrup! And then there's fried grits pancakes.
But then again I like Hominy too. I just wonder who ever first thought that soaking corn in lye would make something palatable???
Now let's seee, Yep, you could cook grits on a T manifold (whew, found some required T content!).
I dunno where I got my food likings, after all, I grew up in a N. California Railroad Town--although we had a lot of Italian families stay at our resort & my folks loved Chinese food from the basement places in SF's Chinatown, so guess I grew up with lots of variety!
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:06 am:

Harvey, after posting that my mouth was watering and I told my wife, "ok, honey, next time you're at the grocery pick up about 4 shoulders." She grinned from ear to ear because she knows what that means! I used to fire up the cooker every couple weeks and do 10-12 shoulders for us, family, and friends. I sold that sucker about 5 years ago (regretted it ever since) and now just have one big enough to do 4 at the most. Everybody is my buddy when I do bbq. Mack, if all goes well and I know when you're gonna pull in the driveway, I'll have some hot on the cooker for you.

How many of you have had Sun-Drop? My grandfather always takes a couple cases back to FL with him because it is his favorite but not available down there. I used to be better in the old pop-top bottles, but its still good!

Mike and David, I agree. Seems country folks food is similar all over. Grits is good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:17 am:

Alex the K-E-DOUBLE-L-O-DOUBLEGOOD is the last line at the beginning of the show not the end. And it was only every other week. "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" was the other tag line. The two sponsors alternated each week. I thought you were working on the lyrics at the credit end of the show in which case the last line is "Y'all come back now, hear?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:37 am:

Does anyone recall the Winston cigarette being able to predict the weather with Granny? Was it fair weather if the smoke trailed straight up? I guess "inquiring minds" need to know! Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:06 am:

Warren, Thanks memorys not that good after 40 some years

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:14 am:

I used to enjoy the episodes with guest musicians like Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs as a kid.
I grew up listening to their music,so seeing the artists on the shows was pretty neat,even if by the time I saw them,the show was long into syndication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:23 am:

Re Granny's weather forcasting by watching the smoke from Jed's Winston, that's about the only Winston commercial I remember anything about from that program. Seems to me that if the smoke went straight up, it meant fair weather, and if it curled it meant rain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:35 am:

Yes, Warren is right. We do the same thing still by smoke from a chimney or tobacco barn. When the air is heavy the smoke won't go up, but rather stay fairly level or go straight to the ground. Heavy air is usally bad weather coming. At least Hollywood actually got something correct!

Maple leaves also turn over when rain is coming.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:07 pm:

The cows will lay down and naw their cuds when the rain is comeing to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:04 pm:

Ok here is one for you.
I know the answer, I think?

What does it mean when you see a hog carrying a sticks?
A big bushy tail on a squirrel means the same thing.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cook on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:41 pm:

I grew up watching Beverly Hillbillys here in Aust. It was the first time I remember hearing the five string banjo of Earl Scruggs. (MY HERO) Pleased to find out what kind of truck (even if it wasn't a Model T!) as it settles a long running argument amongst the men in our family. I did think it was a Stutz!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:49 pm:

Joe,

An Early & cold Winter?

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

When Pigs Carry Sticks,

The Clouds will play Tricks;

When they lie in the Mud,

No Fears of Flood.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:22 pm:

Alex, I don't think you have lived in Ca. all your life.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

Joe, Born in the City of Angels & raised in San Diego.

But I normally have 1 or 2 National Geographics in the Bano.

Unlike today I grew up in a neighborhood where most were Navy families or people who came here for defense work during the War & stayed. And as kids we were always eating dinner at someone elses house & our mothers (who were 90% stay at home) were constantly swapping recipes. Call them Kreploch, Perogi or Dim Sun there still all Ravioli.

Also When my Father's family First came to the US they lived in New Orleans & Missouri (My Grandmother made espresso with chicory).

Alex

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration