This is meant in a humorous way

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: This is meant in a humorous way
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By smilebigtt on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:51 am:

As a relative new comer(1+ years)to this forum, I can't help but laugh in amazement of some of the threads posted. Am I the only person who has gone on here searching for an answer to a burning question or some badly needed advice (and getting it)just to end up knowing less then I did? That there is one hundred and one ways to remove a spark plug, yet all of the ways are wrong? That an ooga horn should sound more like ooooggaa or ouga, No, more like owga. ? I don't know, maybe it just me. Maybe I hav'nt been around the model T long enough to understand the madness. All meant in good fun guys (sort of). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:36 am:

This is the friendliest, most useful, easy to use Forums on the internet, with a multitude of Model T experts with centuries worth of combined experience that tackle every question no matter how simple or difficult. You say you come on the Forum and "laugh in amazement at some of the threads posted", yet you just posted one of the most hilarious threads I have ever seen. 101 ways to remove a spark plug and all of them wrong? I know of just one way to remove a spark plug and that is to turn it counter clockwise (righty tighty, lefty loosy?). You've been around a T for 1+ years and come on the forum to research how a ahooga horn sounds, or are you trying to figure out how to spell it?? Just press the button and listen. No offense, but, if these are the types of common sense answers you are looking for on the Forum, it's no wonder you are hopelessly confused. Perhaps you should buy several books on the Model T and study them and then dive in and get some first hand experience like the majority of contributors to this Forum, instead of just reading about it. We are willing to help, but if you are unable to remove a spark plug without help, or are unable to comprehend what you read here, perhaps you need a little more basic machanical experience to, at least become familiar with the variuos systems on the Model T. Respectfully (sort of), Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:29 am:

I have to agree with Jim about this being an over-all friendly place to be!

I have been on many forums for many hobbies over the past few years. They all contain people from all walks of life and financial backgrounds.

I think finances play a huge roll in techniques. Those who have a little more spare money tend to do things a little more in the "right way". Those of us who have little spare money find ways to "get by".

For example in a thread you might see a comment like "for just a few hundred dollars you could get a new one instead of risking breaking down on a tour"

The next guy might say, A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS??????? :-0 I made one myself out of copper wire".

Nobody is "wrong".....just different approaches to problem solving fitting individual needs. There are always "purists" and there are always shade tree mechanics.

I thank them ALL for being here to help we newbies!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:48 am:

Tim I think you just nailed it!
We are talking about model T Fords on this forum. They are what they are when they were new, a car for someone who might want to work on it themself, or not. I just saw a post for a ammeter blanking plug made out of a tin can lid.
So far it got nothing but praise, altho it got one comment about trying to get a Ford script on it.:-)
Hereb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:13 am:

I think the comment is valid. Look at the variation in opinions re coils vs distributor, the types of timers used, oil viscosity, the type of band material, transmission bushing clearances, etc. You name it, there are opinions all over the place. For someone starting out wanting simple answers, I can understand it might be difficult.

I think the comments about removing spark plugs and horn noises were not meant to be taken literally but to emphasize that there are differing opinions on just about everything.
Hard to disagree about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:34 am:

Thank you Jim for your input. First reread the very first sentence "1+ years to this forum." Secondly you need to not take my little story out of context, the 101 spark plug story and the ahooga horn story was used metaphoritcally. I, who does not profess to be an expert in the field of T'ism and at times spelling, will ask intellegent questions knowing this forum is the place to go. I just find the **WIDE** variety of differencing and often conflicking opinions ie.. 6 volt vs 12 volt, battery vs mag, two wheel vs four wheel trailer, straight engine oil vs oil/tranny fliud mix,etc humorous and unfortunetly frustrating at times. But I manage to mutle through it all and make up my own mind based ALL the information given or in weaker moments I'll call on Seth.

As for being hopelessly confused , there is a reason or so I think. The car I'm building is my first ever T. It came to me in a rusted up bucket of bolts. There is no experenced T mechanic in Topeka that I personally im aware of for help.

Now to my credit. My single seat,center steer county fair racer is within days of its first time running. I have completely rebuilt ever rebuildable device, excluding the coils, myself with basic tools, oh and the advice of this forum and Seth. Have had to reconfigure the steering and control systems. Design and build a body. Heck,I even learn how to solder a radiator and rebuild wood wheels. Considering the lack of information about the actual in the mud race cars of the 20's, I think my car will be upwards of 90% period correct. That of course is based on my limited knowledge. So not to make a short story long, I was simply trying to a smart a** and inject a little beginers frustration in a humorous way (Did you miss the smiley face?). So I thought. Oh by the way Jim, no offense taken. Tyrone Thomas
PS, I do want to thank ALL for ALL your advice. I would not have been able to be as close to starting my car as I am without your help. tt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:39 am:

I agree! Let's remember that when the Model T was built there weren't any repair shops on every corner. If your car broke for most people it meant YOU had to fix it or walk!
This place has been a God send for me! and there are as many ways to "fix" a Model T as there are Model T owners now as there were then.
This place gives me the opportunity to READ and LEARN from those who have gone before me, to avoid the mistakes that those in the teen's and 20's had to make on an individual basis.
I really appreciate that! It also shows some of the uniquely American engineuity available (like the soup can) that has kept the Model T around for all these years.
(I still think a little "Ford" script decal would look cool in the middle of that soup can lid).
Dennis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:47 am:

Richard.

When there are hundreds of participants on a discussion forum, all with varying degrees of experience, there are bound to be differing points of views and disagreements as to the right or wrong ways to do something. In most cases, by the time a thread has run it's course, a consensus of opinion has emerged as to what is the best way to do something, while the wrong or dangerous ways are dismissed as the thread progresses. One just has to read all of the entries and come to their own conclusions. This is where research and personal experience comes in to play on the part of the reader, as well as time spent on the Forum developing a familiarity with the various participants to determine who has earned a reputation for knowing what they are talking about and who has not. That is why anonymous posters are usually dismissed.

After 38 years in this hobby, I rarely come away from a thread not having learned something new. I don't read the threads to laugh at all the various wrong ways of doing something, but instead marvel at the vast resourse of knowledge this site continues to provide me with.

Whether a posting is right or wrong, either way, one can still learn, not only, HOW TO do something, but how NOT to do something. That is the beauty of this site. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:57 am:

Good morning Tyrone.

My apologies. While I have read your many valuable posts, I have never seen "smilebigtt" and had no idea it was you, or I would have known that you are VERY familiar with the Model T and the Forum and were more than qualified to make the observations you did. I assumed "smilebigtt" was an infrequent, anonymous poster who, not only, had no mechanical experience, but probably did not own a T, based upon the spark plug and horn examples you sited. This appears not to be the case. Again. Please accept my apology for my misunderstanding. Respectfully. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:

Let's also remember, he started the thread saying he meant his posting in a humorous way. Come on guys, if we can't laugh at ourselves once in a while we've really got a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

Well Ok Jim, since you apologed so nicely, I except. About the " .... more then qualifed... boy howdi I have you buffaloed :-)
I apologes to you sir for getting you wound up. Yeah the "smilebigtt" is my covert name for when I don't want anyone know its me when asking dumb a** questions. Now I have to think of another name. Anyway enough is enough. Thread closed. Good day to ya

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:25 pm:

TAKE 2, Lets try this again
Well ok Jim, Since you apologed so nicely, I except. About the "...more then qualified..." boy howdi, I have you buffaloed. :-)
I want to apologes to you sir for getting you wound up. Yeah the "smilebigtt" is my covert name for when I have a dumb a** question and I don't want anyone to know its me asking. Now I have to think of another name. Anyway, enough is enough. Thread closed. Good day to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:47 pm:

"Thread closed" just when it was gettin' good??
Gee, no one asked, "How many Model T'ers does it take to change a spark plug?"
Heh, heh, heh
T'
David D.
PS, I don't have the answer to my question, but I suspect it has something to do with how many are on the tour. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

Ha! Thanks Tyrone. I guess I'm a little protective of our Forum and my friends (members), especially if I imagine we are being laughed at, but Jerry is right. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we've really got a problem. I now know that this was us laughing at ourselves, rather than an anonymous poster yanking our collective cranks. You got me. Happy T'ing. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:54 pm:

Its funny how a person can type some words, and when they are read it is up to the reader to put them in context. Sitting around a table, we can speak those same words, but with facial expressions and voice emphasis added they can take on a completely different meaning and it is then up the the speaker to put it all in context. On the forum, a discussion will many times turn into a pissin contest just because the reader takes the text and psychologically adds his own vocal and facial expressions by assumption, and takes offense. I know, because I've done it myself:-)

Another thing we have to always keep in mind is that the majority of questions require subjective answers. therefore they will recieve many answers. We all have our personal preferences when it comes to doing a lot of things.

Can you imagine if this forum had been available back in the T era?! If you think there are a lot of opinions now, just think how many more there would have been in the day when maybe 10,000,000 people from all walks of life and levels of intelligence and experience at any one time owned and drove a T! Imagine further, if you will, the wild and wacky methods used to keep those cars going.

As was said before by others, this is one of the best forums on the internet, by both the massive amount of knowledge available and the fact that we are most of the time gentlemen in discussion. Most of us can be at some time cranky, opinionated, and downright belligerent, but in the end we still respect and support each other. I've used many other forums and usenet groups since around 88 or 89, and I've never been involved with a better group of folks. This forum is the only one I frequent anymore. Many times I see a post closed with the word "respectfully", and that is something I never saw before I came here.

Tyrone, I've seen "smilebigtt" before and was informed off the forum (a month ago or more) that it was you, so I read what you originally posted in the context you meant it. I agree, I laugh many times when I read things, sometimes I sit back and wonder what the heck the writer is talking about, and I still find this forum more entertaining and informative than TV!

All you guys are great as far as I'm concerned

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

Ditto Ray...Well said.

And Tyrone...don't change your anonymous handle. Let's just keep it our little secret. LOL! Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

Tim not hit the nail on the head,he drove it home!
Money plays a major role in how most of us handle things.I bet I am the only ninkempoop who put his valve springs in a shop press and made sure all 8 compressed to 2 inchs and required 30 pounds pressure to do so,when a new set cost less than 6 bucks!.Yes,I can buy some,but heck that 5 bucks can go towards something I do need.
I like to read the differing opinions on stuff,allthough some seem to come from someone with the operateing budget of Jay Leno or Chip Foose,that doesnt mean they are wrong,just means I need to find a affordable alternative.

And to some degree,why have welders and torchs and hammers of all sizes,and a full vocabulary of stress releaveing foul words in at least 2 languages,if you are going to replace every single part you remove that aint ready for paint?

Purist are a good thing for the hobby.We need surviving examples of these and all old cars as they came from the factory,and we need them on the road as they were designed,not rideing trailer back with carpets layed out for them.

But us back yard hobbiest with a torch,welder,and a few tools and a pile of rusty parts are also preserveing something.We are perserveing examples of how poor people did it back in the day,and our cars need to be on the road to.
Long as they are safe.

So our opionions and methods will be different,our advice will be different for each topic,but as long as it is given with the objective of helping another T'r get his car back on the road the best he can,then it is all good.
The advice given for the reader to spend time here and compare notes and learn from those he feels best is also good.
A poster under " ' " for a name,may not be someone you want to follow.My name is posted along with what I say ,so if it is wrong,I can be corrected.A person posting under " ' " must not want to be corrected if wrong and is scared to stand behind what he says.so reader beware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiam on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:09 pm:

I think you all did a great job of proving smilebigtt's point.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration