Touring windshield frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Touring windshield frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:27 pm:

On a 27 touring lower windshield frame, can the rubber that sticks out the bottom and seals to the cowl be replaced without removing the glass? I noticed in the slot where the rubber sticks out a small round hole area. Is it possible to feed the rubber in through the hole and into the slot?
Thanks for any help.
Lynn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:54 pm:

Lynn,

Unless someone smarter than me can tell you a way, the only way I know that it goes in is from the outside. Removing the glass will not get you any access to the channel that the rubber goes in.

Having learned some from doign 2 of mine, I would suggest the following:

Clean that channel out as clean as you can get it so that none of the old rubber or rust will keep the rubber from going in.

You need to keep the the channel and the rubber well lubricated. Best suggestion I have here is to use dish soap.

Don't try to feed it in one end and pull it through the channel. That did not work for me very well. Since it develops more friction the more you slide in you are pulling pretty hard by the time it gets to the other end and it will be stretched out of shape and have a wavy edge at the bottom.

I laid it along the bottom edge and using a plastic instrument worked along the edge working it in to the slot until it seated. The soap helps it work in pretty well. If you need to stretch it a little either way at each point to get it in you can typically relieve that stretch before you move on and end up with a good bottom edge.

When you are done everything will clean up nicely with a little water and the soap residue left from installing it.

It is a bit of a chore so be patient and it will turn out fine.

Should have said this first but I would also advise that you do this on a work bench and not on the car.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:35 am:

Thanks Tom!!! This is one of those subjects that I havent seen in any book. The answer comes from someones experience. I appreciate your help cause if not for your answer I probably would have tried to get at it from taking the windshield out.
Thanks again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration