Testing parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Testing parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:22 pm:

I got lucky and bought some T parts on ebay.Got a nice original amp gauge that works.I use a small battery and a coin and bump accross the terminals of the meter,the needle moves and I fiqrure it must be ok.

But what I do want to know is,If I am at a swap meet,say Chickensaw,and I find a used meter on a table,what is a safe way to test that meter before I spend my money? Is there a ohm meter test?Of course I want to use a method that is safe for the meter and not offending to the vendor.
Considering the arrival of a excellant reproduction amp meter,the used meter market should see a measurable drop in prices,therefore,if tested as working,should be a bargin.
I have a small digital meter that is thin and pocket style so I can whip it out when I want to check buzz coils for rebuildablity.
I have also thought there might be a way to use a small bulb and a battery with 2 small wires,and use that for continuty test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:31 pm:

Yes, Mack - provided it is an ammeter that you want to test. Take you a good (new!) 6 volt lantern battery and a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor. Hook everything in series and the needle should deflect to somewhere near 6 amps. Turn the meter around and it should deflect about 6 amps the other way.

Don't hold the resistor since it's gonna get hot real quick. Just long enough to get a reading.

That's what I'd do.

If you need the resistor, let me know. Battery not included.

Seth

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration