Hey Truck guys! check this ebay item

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Hey Truck guys! check this ebay item
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

I have no connection at all...just thought it sounded like a pretty good deal. I know nothing about model t's to speak, and less about trucks, but this sounds like a deal to me. Just thought I would pass is along. Hurry...almost over!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-TRUCK-1916-FORD-MODEL-T-TRUCK-Rebuil t-Motor-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ260212206506QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item26021220650 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:12 pm:

I have been looking at all those parts and keep looking at the fenders. Are those 1909/10 fenders they had with that truck? Also, I think the body was fiberglass over plywood but can't tell from the pictures. I did look up the numbers on both engines and one is 1914 and the other 1915 if I looked it up right?

What do you guys see?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

Tim, someone posted this on another thread a few days ago, just the item number I think. It's a Formatruck, or similar. Looked like a nice deal to me, but if I had it I'd want to let someone else own that body. Not my personal preference for a truck body.

Hal Davis and I were talking about these on the phone a couple weeks ago. If I could get my hands on the aftermarket parts for one, I'd build another truck instead of a speedster! I've studied the pictures of the Formatrucks, and there appears to be nothing there that can't be easily fabricated, so the thought has even entered my mind to fabricate the necessary pieces and buy the sprockets and chain, available at any industrial supply. The only drawback is the reduction from the stock rear to the wheels. I already have one slow truck, I dunno if I really want another one:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:35 pm:

Bob, I saw the fiber cloth showing through along the leading edge of the roof on those pictures. I think you are right about the fiberglass, and the body probably is either much newer or a much modified old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:47 pm:

Hey Guys..I think that truck is the one from Disney Land (?????) Look at your old copies of Vintage Ford or CDs.....I am at Work and can't check for sure.....If it is that truck got me into Model Ts....I built a 1922 "TT" Panel truck that I wished I knew what happened to............Spank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Eastwood on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the Global Van Lines truck that sat on main street at Disnyland for years!
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:18 pm:

Somebody asked the seller if that was fiberglass. It did look like it to me too. He said it was canvas over the wood then painted. I guess it could have been that too, not sure. That newly rebuilt engine and the wheels alone were worth the price though.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:23 pm:

OK....retract...lol....It didn't end up being as good of a deal as when I looked at it. It was sitting at $3500 with only an hour to go. The sure didn't last at the end! lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:44 pm:

Still not bad I don't think. With all the brass and pieces, I think a fella couldn't have pieced ot together for less. If I was independently wealthy and didn't have to answer to the wife, I wouldn't have minded owning it :-)

Still don't like the body...looks like a prop built for a movie set

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

Ray,
Yeah, for a brass era not bad, just not the deal I thought is was going to be. I kept picturing that body painted black with Jonah's Black Smithing painted on the side. lol....I kinda like a "C" cab.....just not a sky blue one.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:14 am:

You're right Tim. Black would make it look a lot better and I'd probably not mind it near as bad. I always liked the C-cab panels, and I guess it was the color that I disliked more than anything else.
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:20 am:

I would think a guy could up the speed on that rig if he either put 3:1 gears in the rear end or could find a larger chain drive sprocket with the same pitch, etc. or combination of such. Although running down the road at 40-45 mph on those hard rubber tires might be a bit hard on the kidneys.

I think the sky blue color was Global's color and brand recognition is more important to those guys than authentic colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:

Yes Warren, a fella could up the number of teeth on the driving sprocket or lower the number on the driven, but then it wouldn't look near as cool! And yeah, those hard rubbers would be rough even on smooth blacktop at anything more than 7 or 8:1 final drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ronald on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:50 am:

I've come across original era built truck bodies that had canvas stretched over the wood under the paint before, interesting..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Brown on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:11 pm:

I was interested in this and did bid before it got way too rich for my blood. I am curious to know what it would have looked like. Does anyone have a photo of the "Disneyland" truck if that is where it came from, or was at least similar?

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Aber on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:28 pm:

Ifound this, not conclusive picture, on a guy's disney website. Looks possible.....
Disney truck...?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:10 am:

Bill, are there more pictures of the truck? showing wheels, drive mechanism, anything else? And is there a date to the picture?
It is a curiousity...Thanks, Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:

Bill,
You are right! Not conclusive, but it sure looks probably to me. Good job on the research.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto baron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:52 am:

The Car is Very likely the global van line Model T Moving truck. The Truck was designed by Bob Gurr, and made it's first appearence in the park in 1962. Global Moving used to have it's headquarters adjacent to Disneyland, and as a child, I would see it as we exited I-5 on our approach to the park. It would be on display at the park for around two decades. The Global Van Line T had the same light arangements that this one had, Gas headlights, 1916-25 kerosene sidelights, a chain driven extension to the rear, and a C-cab body with a rectangular insert on the sides. The body was completely rebuilt in the 1970's by Barry Norman, who still had the tailgate that he salvaged from the first truck which had fallen apart. I've heard the truck was drivable at first, then was rendered inoperable for display purposes. I'll bet if the connection to Disneyland had been pointed out in the ad, the truck would have gone for considerably more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto baron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:56 am:

Looking at the pictures, The rear of the body still has the Global Van Line graphics! This was the same truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:27 am:

It would be interesting to know the origins of the truck, prior to Disney also. The truck conversion kit was produced by Tonford, a California company, so it would make sense it was a California truck instead of Indiana. Also when you look at the rear of the truck, there is no true access into the body for shipment of large goods, which a ton capacity truck would have had - thus this appears to be more like a display vehicle.

And the windshield arrangement - no real trucking firm would have a windshield like that, would they? In inclement weather all the rain would be directed into the driver? I don't think so. The picture of the Disney truck shows a scaled down truck for amusement park purposes, I think. The catch is on the auction truck, is the windshield when installed folded like the Disney truck in the picture?

I may be ignorant or naive (or both) but why would a Disney connection make the truck worth more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:00 am:

Steven,
I don't know that it would make it worth more money, just adds "Coolfactor". It is also part of the history of the trucks homes and travels over the years. That is always interesting.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:

It looks like a wonderful project regardless of its history of being a Disney prop at one time. The 1914 and 1916 engines being included, original Form-a-truck chassis parts plus the 1911 - 12 brass lamps make it easily worth the selling price.

I was close to bidding but would have needed to build a much taller garage door to own it. Maybe some day.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto baron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

The truck wasn't scaled down, it was full size. For a scaled down version, a standard T chassis would have sufficed. Whenever I visited Disneyland, I sat on that front seat as long as it was there (which I think was till my early twenties) and it was comfortable to sit behind. As far as increased value connected with it's having been part of Disneyland for many years, being an antique dealer, this would mean the truck would hit more then one area of interest. In fact, it would have greater appeal to a Disney enthusist then a rabid T enthusiast. A rabid T enthusiat, would complain how the sidelights are a different period then the headlights, and pick aprart the car on several areas it was unauthentic. a Disney fanatic would simply state, "Cool it was at Disneyland!" Beimg a T enthusist, and a fan of Disney, it would appeal to me on different levels. Besides Laurel and Hardy, that T was a big part in why I'm partial to T's today. I certainly didn't grow up with them when they were putting America on wheels, yet being able to experience this truck on Main street Disneyland, with it's victorian street scape, gas lighting, and ragtime music; often made me wish I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto baron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:53 pm:

Photo a model of the truck showing the graphics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto baron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

phto 1975 The truck as it was in 1975.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 06:58 pm:

Otto, by scaled down, I mean the height didn't look right, vis a vis the windshield and holding an adult male.

Now, time for true confessions. I bought the truck. Have just returned from picking it up, and will get it unloaded and gone over with a fine tooth comb.
a) If you are one who thought about bidding and did not, I thank you for that.
b) This may or may not turn out to be the deal I thought it was - such is life.
c) Now that I've gone over some things, it doesn't seem to be as bad a deal as I feared. See below.

I purchased the truck from a man north of Fort Wayne, Indiana, who in turn had purchased it from North American Van Lines in Fort Wayne who in turn inherited it from Global Van Lines in Fort Wayne when North American bought Global.

I plan to share truck details with this forum as soon as I know more. Right now, the truck never was a driver with that body. The seat is a solid box, no provision for a gas tank. Plus, an adult male cannot sit on that seat, your knees are up near your face. If you raise up to comfortable seat height, you cannot see past the wood frame of the canopy roof.

The body is, as some suspected, fiberglass and wood. It never was a delivery van, as there is no provision to enter the rear of the truck body, except on your belly through the horizontal door. Ergo it must have been manufactured as a display only body. The seller is attempting to get information from a person he knows about the truck.

My goal is to trace the history as far back as I can. When I go over everything, I'll decide just how I want to restore the truck as a driver. Based on my conversations with the seller, who sold for health reasons, I do not think he was aware of the problems with the truck. He had purchased the truck based on casual observations and representations of the then seller, but he developed a brain tumor necessitating surgery and a long convalescence, which has led to him selling it now. He did refund me part of my purchase price because of the errors in the listing.

The other serious problem is that the engine with the serial number 5xx,xxx was actually 5,xxx,xxx, which makes it a 1920-22 engine. I'll nail it down more accurately later.

The good news is that everything else seems to be ok.

What I plan to do now is attempt to nail down whether or not this is the Disney truck, and how it came to end up in Indiana. Secondly, date all identifiable parts to see just what year this might fall in, or if it is a "put-together truck." Someone had to convert the original chassis to a working truck. My hope is it was Global Van Lines in Anaheim, California. Tracing the history may be as much fun as rebuilding this thing! ;-)

More later!
Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:55 am:

Myself, I don't doubt it was the Disney truck. One of the photos in the ebay auction (Which no longer show)showed the Global graphics were still present on the rear of the truck body. If you haven't heard of it, there is a magazine called -The "E" Ticket-. Issue 27 has an article about Bob Gurr, who designed not just this truck, but the Mr. Toad Cars,the Main Street Horseless Carriages, and much of the transportation at the theme park. You can contact that magazine at the following; The "E" Ticket P.O.Box 8579 Mission Hills, Ca. 91346-8597 to find out if that back issue is still available. They may be interested in hearing about the truck, and could possibly get you in touch with Bob Gurr. The truck was prominently featured on one of the covers of "The Vintage Ford" (I'm not sure which, but someone should know.) and Global used to do advertising in magazines featuring the truck. Congragulations on your find, and good to hear the truck is in good hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:48 pm:

I talked with the owner of the (now Wheaton) Global Van Lines agency in San Clemente, CA today. He was very familiar with this truck. The Global Agency used to be nearer Disneyland than it is now. That conversation, plus my research on the internet yields this:

In 1933 George Howard founds a moving company in Dallas, TX which becomes Howard Van Lines in 1948. Howard Van Lines is bought by Trans-Ocean Van Lines of Long Beach, Calif, in 1957 and is moved to southern CA. and renamed Global Van Lines. Disneyland opens in 1955.

Special Delivery Division of Global Van Lines becomes the "Official Disneyland Mover" and holds the title for 20 years. In 1971 Disney World opens in Florida, and Global moves an awful lot of material from southern CA to FL. During the 1960's and 1970's Global has a special relationship with Disney, and has an office and display area inside the front gate at Disneyland. At first, the truck can be driven, but then is changed to a "static" model. The relationship with Disney cools when Disney wants $100-200,000 for the space inside the gate, so Global removes their office and their truck.

The truck makes the rounds as a display at various conventions. In 2000 Allied Van Lines buys Global, moves the corporate headquarters (and truck) to Fort Wayne, IN. Allied Worldwide changes the name of its holding company to SIRVA, and problems develop. My seller ends up with the truck, now I have it.

Thus the truck, though at Disneyland, was owned by Global and used by Global for advertising and display purposes. I have not been able to track it past the early 1960's. And I have no way of tracing Trans-Ocean Van Lines.

So, that's the history I've been able to discover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:43 pm:

Steven,
You got a great deal on that truck, and the history is "way-cool"! Good luck, you are going to have a ball talking to people about that old truck.

Tim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration