New Communicator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: New Communicator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Rademacher on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:03 pm:

I am in the process to buying Champion X plugs for the old T and my next step to to buy a new timer. I an considering an Anderson any comments pro or con. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:08 pm:

David,

The Anderson is good, but if you can find one look for an original New Day (not the repop offered by the vendors)

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:00 pm:

David
I don't know what kind of fellow you are? But, if you not are into investigating and evaluation of timer problems and just want the darned thing to work so you can drive your Model T get yourself an Anderson timer and be done with it!
Sometimes you get lucky with a timer change and sometimes it leads to much trouble because of factors you would not normally expect. Those can be things that have been changed or been modified years before you ever got your Model T that you are unaware of and they can really trip you up.
There are some of us who thrive on understanding and correcting these kinds of problems, but it is not for everyone.
Anderson timers are very robust and Frank Fenton is excellent with helping you if you run into trouble and won't leave you hanging out to dry with an Anderson timer problem.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:12 pm:

Anybody know what brand this is? Any good?
Thanks, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

oops....this one...lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:06 am:

David,

The Anderson timer is good. Be sure to follow the directoins on setting / checking the timing. Each brand of timer is different from the others in where the timer needs to be set for the proper starting of your car without having your arm broken by kick back. When changing from one brand of timer to another this is very, very important to check to prevent injuries to you.

Before you change timers, may I ask if you have cleaned your original? The original Ford or Tiger timers are excellent if kept clean and oiled or greased.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:25 am:

Tim, it looks like it might've come off one of them there old T-model Fords :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:34 am:

Tim,

See Stan Howe's excellent thread "Timer Brands and types" last visited January 15, 2006.

According to that thread, what you have there is a Dunstell, but you are missing the all-important cam.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:35 am:

Unless that's it down inside the cover.......

Seth:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:42 am:

Looks like that's it laying down in there, Seth

Sorry Tim, I had be a smart*** first thing this morning to kick the day off right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:26 am:

David:

There has to be some reason that the Montana 500 racers use Anderson Timers. This is a race that is run wide open for 500 miles except for pit stops. Try it you will like it.

Also Ron is right, Frank Fenton is the best business man to deal with that I have ever known.

fender to fender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:59 pm:

lol....ray, you kicked it off alright! lol...No, I actually saw that one on ebay really cheap, but wasn't sure it was all there either. Then, the money fairy kicked in and it went up higher than I want to pay anyway. Ya don't even have to know me well to know I am a cheap-skate! lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:54 pm:

Dave
I know one Montana 500 winner who uses a New Day timer, but he has spent a great deal of time modifying it for reliability and getting it set up correctly.
I am not pushing the New Day timer, but is just makes my point that the Anderson is a good alternative for the average guy who is not into detailed timer analysis and just wants the dang thing to work properly so you can enjoy your Model T.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:05 pm:

Just out of interest

I'm not affiliated with Snyders whatsoever but one of my good mates recently recieved his latest order of parts and it seems they have changed the makup of the repro new day commutators.

I had a repro one destroy itself in 100 miles. After rebuilding it with epoxy and making a softer brush arrangement it went on to be the best commutator I've had in 10 years.

The bloke in question has had both original bakelite and new soft useless repros. The brand new one has not been run yet but is is definitely a harder material and uses a nice soft brush tension so it'll be very interesting to see;)

Cheers

Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:11 pm:

Anthony,

I run the latest New Day and I've had no problems. I don't run very fast but it has run perfectly well over 500 miles now. I have two original bakelite New Days but see no reason to switch over.

Cheers,

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:02 pm:

I believe that there are only three types of timers good enough for my Model Ts; original Andersons that I've had rebuilt by Frank Fenton, reproduction Andersons by Frank Fenton and original Ford timers, rebuilt by Frank Fenton, with new Anderson internals.

See a theme here? The Anderson timers were the best in the T era and thanks to Frank Fenton, they're simply the best reproduction Timers available today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:02 pm:

I'v been running an old original New Day for over 10 yrs, maybe clean it once a yr, if I remember. No problems, same brush, pulls my old wood box along at about 45 anyday.
I don't think that you can beat it for reliability. But it has to be an old original.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration