26/27 roadster top iron brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 26/27 roadster top iron brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gorslin on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

Hello, I'm building a composite roadster pickup and don't know what the bracket that the top irons pivot on looks like. It appears to be a small unit as the hole in the body is right next to the door and top rail. The older brackets I've tried don't even come close to being correct. Virtually everything was stripped from this body. I'm a little surprised the previous owner didn't try to dismantle the molacules in the metal. A picture,a drawing, or better yet someone with the brackets would be wonderful.Thanks
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:30 pm:

Hi Gary,

I believe the item you seek is offered by Lang's Old Car Parts (1-800-872-7871). The part number in their catalog is 48090X. Other Model T part vendors may also offer this item. I have no relationship with Lang's other than being an occasional customer.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gorslin on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:12 am:

Neil thank you so much. That's the shaft part of what I need. I'm missing the part that this piece screws into. I believe it is a body support of some sort.Again, thank you.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:37 am:

Gary,

Sorry I don’t have a picture of the area you are interested in. The closest I have is from the parts booklet and is shown below.

If someone with a 1926-27 roadster body or roadster pickup body that is not upholstered in that area would please post a picture, I think it would answer Gary’s question. I check e-bay and ModelTHaven and neither of them had a picture of that area on their sites today. I often snag photos from there to help answer questions. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 02:29 pm:

I hope these pictures help.They are from my 26 Canadian roadster pickup.The picture area is surface rusted and the lighting is poor( pickup is stored in a trailer). Shows right & left insides, plus left outside.
Yours in vintage motoring,
Scott Kramer
1913 Canadian T touring & 1917 Briscoe touring
Left OutsideRight InsideLeft InsideLeft  InsideRight  Inside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:58 pm:

For Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to snap the pictures and post them. It looks like the bracket is small and just fits inside the top portion of the body just behind the panel where the door closes. I was surprised that there was not more of a brace etc. to transmit the load down to the floor sill, but I guess the “channel” created by the side of the body, the opening for the door, where the metal wraps around the door opening provide the same strength or better than the old wooden skeleton of the earlier cars.

I noticed you have a 1913 Canadian touring. If you haven’t looked at the Frontenac site in the last year or so, they have added several good pictures of some of the Canadian Ts they have been working on. See: http://www.modelt.ca/ and go to their restorations and also photo page. If you have a chance, please send me photos of your car that I can share in the future when folks ask questions about the Canadian Ts– especially the Canadian features of your car. I have a couple of 1913 Canadian T pictures but I have misplaced the text (i.e. who was kind enough to send those) but I would always welcome more. There is a general posting listing some Canadian information at: http://www.modeltforum.org/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config_512.pl?read=117393 I sent an e-mail to Kevin also called Bill Mowle earlier today. I think that Ford of Canada was producing their own touring bodies around 1911. Bruce McCalley at his on line encyclopedia at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm shares:

JAN 6 1911 Acc. 575, Ford Archives
Notes on changes in touring bodies made by Beaudett Body Co., Hayes Mfg. Co., and Ford in Walkerville, Ontario, Canada. Beaudett bodies are identified as "Pontiac" on the shipping invoices, apparently because Beaudett was located in Pontiac, Michigan. If you have any information about who produced any of the Canadian T bodies, please let me know.

Again thank you for sharing.

For Gary,

Please confirm that you are working to convert a 1926-27 touring front half to a roadster style pickup. That is what I suspect, as it looks like that bracket would probably be spot welded to the inside of the original roadster and of course on the touring a different bracket to hold the larger touring bows would have been installed in the back seat area. From the pictures Scott shared, if you can find a really rusted out 1926-27 roadster body – the sheet metal will be worthless long before the bracket is totally gone. I would guess you could line it up and spot weld it into the same location on the touring and it would probably work. There is a slim chance that they made the door opening / pillar area stronger on the roadster but on the earlier cars the roadster and touring area was about the same in that location.

And of course you could just fabricate a new bracket – very easy to do if you purchased the pivots that Lang’s has or some originals.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck (no top – so we don’t have that issue) and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gorslin on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:32 pm:

Gentlemen, I can't thank you enough. I had no idea even what to look for when visiting swap meets. I believe with a little time I could probably fabricate brackets now knowing what they are supposed to look like. Scott and Hap are life savers!!!! My car has been sitting for a year while I tried to figure out the bracket issue. Now I move on to the next problem.
Again, thank you for the effort!!
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:04 pm:

Gary,
The pictures that I posted for you had to be compressed to fit. If you send me your e mail address, I will send you the original sized pictures.
I would think that the brackets for roadster & touring might be the same ?
I have part of a touring body behind the garage I will look at tomorrow.
Scott
cscottkramer@rogers.com

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration