Body Style Definitions - Does anyone know these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Body Style Definitions - Does anyone know these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:11 am:

Looking at various early brass era cars being sold on various websites and shows,I've noticed the following terms used to describe the cars:
Demi-Tonneau , Toy-Tonneau , Baby-Tonneau.
What do the prefixes demi,toy,and baby imply?
I do know they're at least referring to the rear seat style.
I have an early car with a rear entrance tonneau,but I fail to understand,what these other names are describing.
What's the difference?Anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:24 am:

These were sporty smaller lower profile touring type bodies generally 4 passenger on a larger pricey chassis.
I'm sure you will get them better defined but that will make a good start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

Typically, all three describe a four-passenger car, as opposed to a five or seven passenger. Warren is right, they are sportier.
A Demi-Tonneau is removeable for use with a flat deck or the addition of a Mother-in Law seat. The names baby-tonneau and toy-tonneau vary by manufacturer, I believe.
These are what I have found to be true. I'm sure others will have more information.
I hope this helps,
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:48 pm:

Thanks guys,your comments are much appreciated and certainly make sense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:07 am:

I think demi, toy and baby tonneau are interchageable terms used by many of the early manufacturers to describe rear seat conversions that could be added to the roadster type bodies then in vogue. Consider the 1903 - 04 Ford Model A which was made with a 2 seat roadster body and had an optional "tonneau" rear seat. Look here:

http://www.ritzsite.net/FORD_1/02_eford.htm

Royce

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration