Triplegears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Triplegears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:29 pm:

The eight rivets are loose in two of the triplegears.
Would it be safe to tighten them up or should I bite the bullet and buy new?
Joe, having so much fun the wallet can hardly stand it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:27 pm:

Joe,for what it's worth,you'd be happier if you can find a newer set of non-riveted tripple gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

I wouldn't mess witht the rivets and I'd never buy new. Good used ones are not hard to come by. They typically bring $30 to $60 when I put them on ebay. I'm just rebuilding four transmissions so my stock is pretty low right now. I'm sure somebody on this forum will come through with a nice set for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:48 pm:

Personally, I like the riveted gears better for their larger tooth face and quieter operation. At least, in my experience. Of course, tight rivets are a must.

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:59 pm:

I agree with Roland and the riveted gears are about 100 grams lighter than the solid (each). Every little bit helps if you're building a go-fast engine. You just have to make sure the rivets are tight and the three gears turn concentric on the same axial plane. Many don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:23 pm:

There you go, Ken usin' them big words.

I understand that the lighter gears lessen the total flywheel mass, and I understand "make sure the rivets are tight," but, for us non-engineers, please 'splain, "the three gears turn concentric on the same axial plane."

Huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:31 pm:

Joe I guess I should explain,that I don't dislike the riveted gears and have used them. But if you have two outa three loose,it would be just about as easy to find another set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

I have a set coming from a member.

Jack, or anyone else.
Since the rivets are loose I would assume they are wore and not the gear. Do you think they could be drilled out and re-riveted? If I did that it would be when I needed something to do and it would be just for fun.
Did I just say if I needed something to do??

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:36 pm:

Joe, I think it would be fine. Use a bushing to keep them lined them up and rivet away. The rivet is softer than the gear so I doubt if the holes are worn. They should punch out. If you use a drill, be darn careful not to touch the sides of the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:15 pm:

Joe, you need an alignment jig to rivet the gears back together.

LOL... Keith, I'll try to splain it. The axial plane is the axis on which the gear turns--It's center. In this case, consider the triple gear pins' center line to be the axis. The gears rotate around this axis. In simple terms, concentric objects (or circles) share the same center.

In the case of some triple gears, that's not the case. While each of the circles (gears) are round, the bore is not centered for all gears. Below is a diagram of what I mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:19 pm:

Ops. Instead of "While each of the circles (gears) are round,"
It should say: "While each of the circles (gears) share a bore,"

... the bore is not centered for all gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott owens on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:

Care should be used to keep the gears timed. If you get them out of time they will bind up and hurt something. The grear are involuted and will work even if the rivets are a bit loose. But you should replace any loose rivet, just do it one at a time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration