"The Curvlamp" accessory...I got a good deal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: "The Curvlamp" accessory...I got a good deal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:33 pm:

So, I got a brass coil hammer from Bob Scherzer, and went to day to buy a shadowbox to fit it in and display on my wall with all my other memorabilia. Went into the Peddlers' Mall looking for one, and in a corner booth I saw this light sticking out of a box. I dug it out, and although it was marked "old military light" I knew what I had in my hand. Never saw one before, but I knew what it was. I carried it around with me and just before we left I told the wife I didn't think I wanted it. I walked back to the booth and as I laid it down I noticed a spot where the black paint had been scratched off was not silver shiny, but brass-shiny. scratched a bit with my fingernail and sure enough, it's brass. The light is nickeled brass and the mounting bar is brass. The center piece is iron and the rod is steel. Tension spring is good, everything moves like it should, and the correct square-head set screws are there. Only thing missing is the bar to link to the tie rod, and that is simple fabricating. The ball socket is even nice and uncorroded, and has the little pieces inside.

Not sure if it would look too wierd on the TT or not, but the aged black finish is a perfect match. Didn't need it, but $20 for an "old military light" was too good to pass up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:03 pm:

Ray

Nice find, what does it do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:11 pm:

Did you see the movie "Tucker"? Remember one of his big peeves was going around a curve but your headlights still pointed straight ahead? The Tucker had a third headlight in the middle of the hood to do what this light does. This light turns with the steering. I've seen them on some of the 20's-30's "big" cars, but I think this is an accessory unit since the mounting bar has adjustable length. from the lense style, I think it is 20's. Hoping someone here will tell me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

It would come in handy if you were 'coon hunting.

Seth :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:23 pm:

Or iron huntin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:46 pm:

I not familiar with the Curvlamp, but it looks like a less expensive version of Trippe lights which, as Ray says, were an accessory on top end cars, sometimes mounted in pairs & usually matched the design of the Headlamps. This may have been directed at less expensive cars (& before anyone else can say it, yes, you'd have to turn the wheel to direct it).

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:34 pm:

Rest easy knowing I will give ye 60 for it. I want to engineer something like that on the speedster project.that is what you should put that on is your speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:14 pm:

Yes, or iron hunting. And yes, you probably stole it, like most everything else you find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

YEs, Alex! Trippe lights was what I have been trying ot think of all day! See them on Deusenbergs and the like. Yah, I think this is a much less expensive version directed (I like your pun) at cheapo cars like, uh, lets see...a FORD?!! What rally got me was the similarity to the lenses on the T.

Mack, if you hadn't made the speedster remark I'd let ya have it, but now ya got me thinkin I might have a use for it after all!

Found this in a PDF of a March 28, 1928 newpaper from Davidson, NC. That is the only result when I Googled "curvlamp". However, the light says it was made by the Curvlamp Co. in Charlotte. I think this Queenwood company either acquired the patent or used the name. I gotta find out how to search for a patent number now and try to see who held this and when.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:27 pm:

Well, I was wrong about the year. It's not a T accessory. I rubbed it off to read the patent number, but its the date, not the number. If I had looked at my picture I would have known. It says Pat Nov 9th, 1928. Oh well, it looks T'ish anyway. KNowing the patent office, the patent was probably applied for in about '22 when they wanted to build them for T's, but by the time they got all the red tape done it was '28!

And I didn't steal it Seth! They put a tag on it that said $20. I didn't twist nobody's arm! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

"Steal?" Maybe not, but incredibly lucky? Absolutely! You remind me of another friend of mine. People seek him out to give him old unwanted stuff. He got a working threshing machine for $100. I know where another one is, but the guy wants $1500. Guess I'll do without. Don't have anymore pole barn space at the moment anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

Yes, you got a good deal. "Stole" = figure of speech - kind of like "You're pulling my leg." though you obviously aren't.

It would be "correct" on your county fair racer which may not have been built until well into the thirties.

I know how conscious you are of correctness.

As you know, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to speedsters - ANYTHING GOES (semiconductors, fuel pumps and shiny new paint included)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Saw this one at the Holiday Motor Excursion in Dec. I have one like it, only different. Mine is missing a couple of minor parts.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:04 am:

Must be Trip-Lite season. I just aquired this very nice "center-steer" light called a Pilot-Ray. Although the lense has the 'sprreadlight' name on the bottom, the name 'Pilot-Ray' is across the top of the lense. It has a really nice bell-crank rotary type actuation, although I'm not sure yet how I'm going to hook it up to a tie-rod linear type motion. I agree with a responder. I think it will look neat on the front of my Raceway speedster I'm puting together. Byronlamp 1lamp 2lamp 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:11 am:

Sethster, I knew you were jokin! Just because I'm southern don't mean I'm stoopid:-) Seriously, I think it would look pretty good on the speedster. Of course, I'd need to polish all that brass up. Hate to have brass and paint it. I got a feeling when Googling only gets one hit from a 1928 newspaper, there ain't very many of these floating around. Won't see another speedster with one on it anyway!

Ralph, that is definitely more high class than my little cheapy light! I don't think $20 would touch that one:-) Looks funny up on the grille like that though. Most I've seen are on the bumper, but I guess the light up closer to eye level would be more practical than way down low.

It's a neat little conversation piece if nothing else!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:26 am:

well...I'll be damned! Byron, I saw one of those a couple years ago, could've bought it for $25 but I thought it was a spotlight missing some parts! Now that I know what it is, I can see it probably worked by a linkage off the drag link on a non-cross-steer car. You could probably fabricate a bellcrank (like the choke bellcrank on the T firewalls) on the left frame rail and hook to the steering link with one lever and to the light with the other. That's what I'd do anyway. That looks really nice!

Hal, I dunno how I fall into these things, but any time now I'm expecting to run across a buildable T engine for about, oh...$35 maybe? It'll probably be tagged as an "old hand-cranked music box". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:56 am:

Ricks,
I'm curious is that lamp attached to a Leland Lincoln or Ford.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 07:58 am:

Hey guys...I think you missed on Richards question to Ray...."What does it do?" .....Richard...IT LIGHTS UP THE DARK!

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Swan on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 08:20 am:

Actually it "shed some light on the subject..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:05 am:

I believe that was a late twenties Lincoln, Alex. I've seen the same unit in a pic of a late twenties Stutz.

I bought mine at the Sandy Eggo Big 3 Swap some years ago. Hmm, that's next weekend; hope it's drier wx than what we have now. I don't think we've had to water the garden but once all winter.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:10 am:

Ricks,

I think you're getting most of the rain up there, we've had mostly drizzles & only a few downpours, but enough to lower the water bill.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:44 pm:

Thank you for the direct explaination of the curvlamp's purpose. Now that I know what it is the bracketry makes sense. Just because it was patented in 1928 doesn't mean it couldn't have found its way onto model t's. Many accessories are made years after the car is manufactured.

Use it well and shine up that brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

Ray,
Nice find! My kind of deal!!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger K on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 06:20 am:

There must be someone, somewhere, at some time who have adopted regular T headlamps (up to 1925) into curvlamps?

A bushing in the front fender iron may be needed, then some kind of connection from a lever on the lamp base down to the tie rod..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

Now, that would be interesting, Roger. Great idea! My TT headlights want to turn anyway, might as well hook them up to the tie rod and at least I'd have some control then! Of course, tightening them a bit would help...

Seriously though, I've not see anything like that in the old advertising, but I think it would be another fun project. I'll have to keep that in mind for when I get some of the others finished up:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

Thanks Tim!

Richard, I don't know what I was thinking, but you're right. Even now with modern cars, accessories are developed for vehicles that are already 5-10 years old in some instances. Makes more sense that this would have been developed for a T than an A really. The lense don't look like it would fit in on an A too well, but is very similar to the T lense.

thanks
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:42 am:

Here's one idea from a 1923 scientific mag:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:11 am:

Roger K,quit digging in my feeble mind and plucking my idears!:>)I have been trying to fiqure that out for a long time how to do it.I cant see any reason it couldnt be done to make both headlights turn with the wheels.
Would be a neat idea for something different on a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

Mack, by the time you get the speedster far enough along to need it, we'll get it figured out. If you have time on the stop to or from Chickensaw, we'll paly with the idea a little bit and see what we can come up with. It's very do-able.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

There was at least one company that manufactured an aftermarket accessory for the Model T Ford which allowed the owner to convert the existing factory headlights so they would turn with the steering.

I saw such a set-up on a Model T roadster about 30 years ago when I was a kid.

Regarding "Spreadlight" on the lense of Ray Elkin's find. Spreadlight was a common headlight found on a number of cars in the 1920s. For example, the headlights on my dad's 1927 Hupmobile were Spreadlights.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, Mn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

Well,my first theory was to see if a old connecting rods bolt holes lined up with the old fender brace holes in the chassis.if so,bolt 1 on,then use the wrist pin area with a bushing in it,and a grease fitting.Use some headlights that the mounts have damaged threads or whatever and weld a piece of solid rod that could be machined to fit that bushing.have 2 collars to keep it in and from falling out.Now this would be on a fenderless speedster.On a fendered car,just machine out the headlight mounting hole,press in a bushing and drill and tap for a grease fitting.You may would need to raise the headlights some to allow them to turn without hitting the fenders.
On the bottom of that shaft,weld something like a pitman arm to it.Now from there I aint fiqured out how to tie it into the long arm that goes between the spindals,but I would clamp it to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:56 am:

See Mack, it can be done, and someone thought about it long before you were even born :-)

Erik, I also found on the net where Spreadlight manufactured a lot of railroad signal lenses. Thanks for the info!
Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration