Universal joint pin Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Universal joint pin Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:49 am:

Im using a timken roler bearing on the pinion end
Question do i need to pin the universal joint to the shaft ?-there is no end play its all done at the pinion end with a collar, or do i pin anyway?
Thank you-Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:08 am:

Pin it. The u-joint should not be free to slide in and out of the rear of the transmission and up and down on the drive shaft. If you want things to be quiet and smooth - do the job right since you won't be doing it again for a very long time if ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:14 am:

I don"t trust the lock ring to stay locked so I always set up the u-joint clearance to the front bushing and pin the u-joint just like you would with the regular Ford assembly. That way there is no doubt that the pinion is going to maintain the proper clearance to the ring gear. A little more work but well worth the peace of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:06 am:

Larry:

I recently had a fellow call concerning this very thing. His problem was that the hole for the u joint pin was .075 or so FORWARD from where it should be so he was thinking of leaving the pin out for that reason. Turns out he had purchased a NEW drive shaft and the hole was that far forward compared to his original equipment drive shaft. Previous to this I had always heard that the NEW drive shafts were all well made but not sure now. I also am not sure that there in fact may not be several different sources for these. I wonder if others have had this same experience. He said he was going to rotate the drive shaft and drill a new hole in it in the correct position. I told him he should contact the vendor and at least inform the vendor of the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:15 am:

I've run without a pin for tens of thousands of miles, and never had noticeable vibration except when a needle bearing ujoint went haybag. The uj self-centers, and the front shaft is free to wiggle anyhow.

If leaving it free is going to make you worry, then pin it. Of course, as in the example above, the holes may be in the wrong place...

If you pin it, I would suggest looking very closely at how the driveshaft housing ball mates into the socket.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:36 pm:

Larry; I bought a new drive shaft from Texas T Parts when I bought a KC Warford and the hole was drilled wrong. The best thing to do is get one that has not been drilled, otherwise you can turn your shaft 90 degrees and redrill. It really ticked me off; one more poorly made repop item. I suppose I could have complained but I didn't want the shipping hassle and I needed to get the driveshaft put together. I used one of Fun Project's modern bearing assemblies; it was perfect. My personal choice was to go ahead and fit the u-joint pin; it doesn't take much work if you can face the bushing.

I saw a rear end that had a collar come loose and it wasn't pretty. I'm sure it was 'installation error', and I'm probably just protecting me from myself.... I feel better with the pin in.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration